Oklahoma Tornadoes-what will it take for you? - Posted by ScottE

Posted by Sandy FL on May 05, 1999 at 17:44:03:

Scott that was beautifully put.
That is the one part of my day J.O.B. I still rejoice in … the reminders I get from time to time. As difficult as it is at the time, the meanings and interpretations we assign to these difficult moments are what lasts. What you and others here have expressed here is so valuable. Take these moments and wake up calls as a sign of knowing where you want to go from here, what you want your life to mean, and who are you doing it for. Many families in Colorado recently found these meanings, also.

SandyFL

Oklahoma Tornadoes-what will it take for you? - Posted by ScottE

Posted by ScottE on May 05, 1999 at 14:53:16:

Every Spring inevitably brings severe weather to Oklahoma, however, Monday evenings tornadoes were different. On many occasions when tornado warnings are given, you’ll find ‘veteran’ Sooners watching the storm from their front porch or going about their normal business.
We have grown up watching our skilled meterologists and storm chasers report twisters. In central Oklahoma these guys are rarely shaken, but Mondays events had even the most experienced broadcasters VERY excited-which means things are BAD. And, obviously, it did get bad, but after seeing the damage, it is a miracle more folks didn’t die.
I have been a resident of Oklahoma for 29 years and a Paramedic here for 11 years. The destruction by Monday night’s tornado can only be compared to the Murrah Federal building bombing. You may have seen news footage and reports. Many described the damage as “devastating” or “flattened”. Truly, at least in the south OKC suburb of Moore, a half-mile wide swath of destruction can only be described as “complete”.
Folks, we are talking about 6 to 8 full blocks of a neighborhood gone with driveways and foundations and rubble no more than 4 feet high remaining.
When I arrived at the south side of this quiet Moore area, literally dozens of injured people were crawling from their former homes and wandering, dazed and bleeding, down the street. Some cars were damaged worse by this tornado than any accident I’ve ever seen.
After we had triaged, treated, and transported all of the injured in our area, I left with the same thoughts as after the bombing. First, the rapid and overwhelming efforts of Oklahomans to handle disasters like these is phenomenal. Second, and more profound I believe, the wake up call to do whatever it takes to get your life right in every way and keep some things right ALL of the time. This is the same thought that may run through your mind at a funeral of a friend or relative, except with something like this the magnitude makes it like you are attending 250 funerals at once. It means getting yourself right spiritually. It means if you leave the house angry at your child or spouse or loved one, or after a verbal exchange, you may not get a chance to redeem yourself with the right words. It means financially and professionally, believe it or not. Where are you? Where do you want to be? What are you doing to get there? What are you waiting for?

Get up, get off your butt, make a plan, and get it done NOW.
Your Oklahoma tornado could be coming sooner than you think.

Re: Oklahoma Tornadoes-what will it take for you? - Posted by Steve Heller

Posted by Steve Heller on May 05, 1999 at 19:36:17:

Amen brother.