One water problem solved, now another - Posted by John T (WI)

Posted by Mr.H (IN) on August 12, 2007 at 06:28:28:

Great suggestion Dr B.

John, if you can’t aim the line at a bucket or something, hold a large plastic cup just over the open end with a bucket below and let 'er rip. May want to put a towel or 2 under and around the bucket to catch any water that spills out. Have your helper turn the water on slowly so the pressure doesn’t knock the cup out of your hand.

One water problem solved, now another - Posted by John T (WI)

Posted by John T (WI) on August 11, 2007 at 14:14:10:

Talked with the maint guy about the plastic supply pipe. Said go ahead and use the pex connector. And it worked!

My big problem now is that the kitchen cold water is a trickle. I’ve wrote about this faucet having problems before, turned out to be rust blocking the filter. Well the filters off, and the cold water is a trickle. I think some rust particles have blocked the pipe at a joint or something. About the only thing I can think of at this point is to turn off the water to the house, open the outside faucet and tub faucet, and blow compressed air down the water line from the cold water shut-off valve at the sink.

If I have to do anything more drastic, it’ll require moving a nailed on panel on the base cabinets to get at one leg of the pipe line, and cutting holes in the floor for the other leg.

So I hope someone has some ideas.

Re: One water problem solved, now another - Posted by Don-NY

Posted by Don-NY on August 13, 2007 at 10:21:16:

If the screen is cleared and still no flow. Take the cold water line off and aim it into a bucket, hold your thumb over the spigot to close it off, open the hot water side. This will backflow water through the cold side and clear the clog. Hey it worked for me.

clogged faucet - Posted by Dr B. (OH)

Posted by Dr B. (OH) on August 11, 2007 at 18:19:15:

John,

I’ve had this several times. It’s most likely in the faucet body.

If you’ve been fiddling with the water lines in an old mobile, particularly with an old or recently replaced water heater, you may have clogged the faucet.

I bought an oldie and rehabbed the kitchen, beautiful, if I say so myself. I had a handyman wrap all the exposed pipes under the home with heat tape and insulation. My other handyman/park maint. guy went to turn the water on to the home for the new owner only to find no flow to the toilet or kitchen sink-hot side. He replaced the ball cock with a fluidmaster and all was well with that. The rusty water ran for a half hour from the cold side of the kitchen then cleared but no flow from the hot. Eventually, he replaced my brand new faucet with an $80 job from Lowe’s (out of cheapos in my stock). I took it home, disassembled it, and blew out a ton of rust with 150 lbs of air from my garage compressor. I believe moving the lines around to heat tape them loosened the rust generated from the old water heater thus clogging the internal pipes of the faucet. They are very narrow about 1/4 inch dia. inside dimension.

If there is any way you can get that faucet off and aim the lines into a bucket with a helper turning the main on and off, I think you’ll clear it. Have a new faucet handy for replacement.

For an I-hope-this-works trick, I would open the outside faucet and tub faucets and blow the air backwards through the sink faucet itself.

Happy Trail(er)s,
Steve

I’ve done this accidentally… - Posted by Dr B. (OH)

Posted by Dr B. (OH) on August 13, 2007 at 16:26:21:

what a great way to flush your faucet intentionally.

Good Idea Don, hope it works for John T.

Happy Trail(er)s,
Steve

Re: clogged faucet - Posted by John T (WI)

Posted by John T (WI) on August 12, 2007 at 15:35:09:

Steve, I had a similar problem before, here’s the start of thread:
http://www.creonline.com/mobilehomes/wwwboard4/messages/75178.html

The gist of that thread was the name brand faucet I was using got plugged up with rust in the screen. I didn’t realize it and replaced it with a cheapo figuring the original was messed up inside.
anyways, I did get a decent stream out of before I had to fix this aforementioned leak. Now its just a trickle. I did take the valve stem off to check for clogs, but it was OK. So I’m guessing there’s a build up of rust in one of the joints.

Anyways, checking to make sure it isn’t the faucet is as you described, disconnect the line and point it into a bucket and turn it on to see what happens. Otherwise, its the air pressure blast.

John