oultets? - Posted by ralondo

Posted by Joe C. (AR) on April 18, 2006 at 20:46:38:

Either is ok by National Electrical Code, however, here a local code requires them to be up. Check with a local code official, if it has to be inspected.
Joe C. (AR)

oultets? - Posted by ralondo

Posted by ralondo on April 18, 2006 at 16:59:39:

Does it make any differance if the outlet is ground up or ground down? Want to be legal.

Re: oultets? - Posted by Steve Enlow

Posted by Steve Enlow on April 19, 2006 at 09:40:35:

Here in AZ, an outlet installed upside down, denotes that it’s operated by a switch.

Re: oultets? - Posted by Mike

Posted by Mike on April 19, 2006 at 08:53:53:

Whenever I see an outlet with the ground on top, I figure some hacker was wiring who did not know what he was doing. The pictures I’ve seen in home improvement DIY books show them with the ground down, and that is the way it is normally done in my area by electricians and builders.

That is NOT to say that our friends in Arkansas are wrong if their code says put the ground up. I’m sure they have a good reason.

Re: oultets? - Posted by jp(sc)

Posted by jp(sc) on April 18, 2006 at 17:33:49:

Makes no difference. Both are ok by code.

Re: oultets? - Posted by jp(sc)

Posted by jp(sc) on April 19, 2006 at 19:16:28:

Ground down is typical. However, some electricians regard “ground up” as safer. The reasoning is that if a plug is pulled half way out, small fingers or objects can touch the energized plugs. While this is still possible for a “ground up” configuration, it is more likely that inadvertant contact will be with the ground contact.

I’ve noticed a “ground up” configuration in hospitals, especially newer ones.