Outlines of studs, etc. visible through paint? - Posted by Farlee

Posted by michaela-CA on April 16, 2007 at 17:31:01:

Outlines of studs, etc. visible through paint? - Posted by Farlee

Posted by Farlee on April 15, 2007 at 14:12:13:

Hi Everyone,

I’m relatively familiar with the appearance of mildew, mold, dirt, etc., but I visited a house the other day and saw something I’d never seen before.

The only way I can describe it is this: Throughout many of the walls and ceilings, you can see the outlines of the framing/joints, through the paint, and it looks like dark lines (about an inch wide, in perfect alignment/square, roughly like the outline of the drywall sheet). It doesn’t look like mold, there are no spores or circles of anything like that, and it also doesn’t appear to be on the surface (although I didn’t try to wipe it off or touch it).

It truly LOOKS like someone took a black, oil based paintand painted lines tracing the lines of the wood/drywall, and then used a light white paint on top, and the lines are showing through the paint??? But I have no idea what would cause this??

I’ve been reading everything I can find to determine what it is, and I think it MIGHT be “black soot deposit” or “ghosting”, although the pictures I’ve seen of these things don’t look exactly the same.

ANY ideas about what this could be, if its dangerous, or how to remedy it??? I’m in Ohio, BTW.

Re: Outlines of studs, etc. visible through paint? - Posted by ken

Posted by ken on April 15, 2007 at 20:24:36:

I am familiar with this.I would guess you are looking at lath showing through a plaster wall.It needs a couple coats of paint.

Ooooh - yeah! Bodypaint :wink: n/t - Posted by michaela-CA

Posted by michaela-CA on April 15, 2007 at 19:34:01:

Re: Outlines of studs, etc. visible through paint? - Posted by michaela-CA

Posted by michaela-CA on April 15, 2007 at 22:07:46:

Ken,

I’ve done my share of old homes and in all of those the lath was nailed horizontally, wheras studs would be
vertical. I have never seen lath being nailed vertically,
but maybe I just haven’t come across it.

Michaela

Re: Outlines of studs, etc. visible through paint? - Posted by Sean

Posted by Sean on April 17, 2007 at 13:54:06:

Agreed,

Lathe is always horizontally across the studs, this gives the plaster something to adhere to.

100+ year old homes are your friends.

Re: Outlines of studs, etc. visible through paint? - Posted by ken

Posted by ken on April 16, 2007 at 16:41:10:

You are correct but regardless it just needs to be painted

Michaela knows her lathe - Posted by JT-IN

Posted by JT-IN on April 16, 2007 at 16:07:10:

And her Studs… so don’t mess with her on this one…

Hope you are well Michaela, out galavanting the country side… I couldn’t pass up the Stud remark, especially after your comment on body painting in this thread… LOL.

JT

Re: Outlines of studs, etc. visible through paint? - Posted by michaela-CA

Posted by michaela-CA on April 16, 2007 at 22:40:20:

Ken,
but if what he has is vertical, then it’s not the lath, but something else, which might need a different treatment.

Michaela