Paint vinyl siding???? - Posted by Randy -IL-

Posted by Laure on April 03, 1999 at 08:18:46:

I agree. When you hang vinyl, you have to leave like an inch and a half on each end a one 10’ piece for expansion and contracting. The paint would have to split and peel ! How many shades are on the house? Is it just one side? you could rehang one side of the house all the same shade?

I have used two shades on a house before, just stick to one side with one shade. You can’t tell !! REALLY !!

Laure :slight_smile:

Paint vinyl siding??? - Posted by Randy -IL-

Posted by Randy -IL- on April 02, 1999 at 09:51:02:

I got a lead today on a don’t wanter. Problem is that the vinyl is all different shades! I think it can be painted if it is properly primed first. It may be worth my effort to hire a crew to paint it, if it can be done. I’ve heard of people painting aluminium siding and looking good.

Does anyone have experience with painting vinyl siding?
Does it wear off quick or peel?

Thanks,
Randy

I’ve painted Mobiles, and they look great - Posted by Dirk Roach

Posted by Dirk Roach on April 03, 1999 at 02:58:30:

however, I can’t give a long term assement, because It’s only been in the last coupole of months that I’ve done em. And I have my guys wax em afterwards, maybe that adds some sort of protectent.
I use Latex.

Re: Paint vinyl siding??? - Posted by John Katitus

Posted by John Katitus on April 03, 1999 at 02:24:25:

I am not an expert. Bet you were hoping for an answer from somebody that wasn’t.

My brother, who is, told me that if you use the proper paint (a good quality acrylic-latex, I think) it will hold up better on vinyl siding than on wood siding. And you shouldn’t need any special primer. Check a good local paint store.

Re: Paint vinyl siding??? - Posted by Charles - DFW

Posted by Charles - DFW on April 02, 1999 at 18:17:16:

Vinyl siding expands and contracts significantly with changes in temperature. Paint does not expand and contract very much, so it will split,crack and peel.

I am not an attorney, and I am not giving any legal advice (sorry, I allways wanted to say that), just my understanding of vinyl, and what my vinyl distributor says.

Charles,