Painting dropped ceilings? - Posted by Tom Nagle PA

Posted by Neil_PA on February 13, 2000 at 08:36:55:

Tom,

If you paint the tiles while they are in the grid you will end up making a mess because they will stick to the grid, and you will lose the acoustic absorption qualities. I just replaced a drop cieling in a rental. I threw out the old tiles and painted the metal gridwork with a roller. A 12’ X 60’area took less than one hour. Unfortunately there was so much smoke damage that I had to apply a second coat I bought new tiles at Home Depot for .25/sq ft. I supplied the labor so I didn’t have to come out of pocket for that expense. Just thought I’d submit another option for your consideration.

Neil

Painting dropped ceilings? - Posted by Tom Nagle PA

Posted by Tom Nagle PA on February 11, 2000 at 07:43:37:

Hi folks-

Just a few weeks till the convention…can’t wait!

Here is my question. Has anyone ever just painted dropped ceilings. The ones in this place aren’t in that bad of shape (a couple needs to be replaced), and I hink just painting them would save a lot of labor hours. I am not a big fan of dropped ceilings by any stretch, but they are in many of the houses in the area.

Thanks for any input,

Tom Nagle

I don’t like them either. - Posted by SusanL.–FL

Posted by SusanL.–FL on February 11, 2000 at 10:58:48:

I had one in my master bathroom which I absolutely could not stand! Instead of tiles, though, mine had creepy plastic square ‘inserts’. Looked horrible. Anytime one would happen to fall out of the metal track, it would SHATTER on the floor!

Well, three or four weeks ago, I just tore the whole thing down, track and all! It DID give us a lot more ‘head’ room. HOWEVER! Now I see why it was up there in the first place! That space above the dropped ceiling had exposed wires, huge nails sticking every which way, staples, wires rigging the electrical cords, wall board missing, glaring florescent light bulbs.

NOW every time I lift my eyes skyward, I think I am in a half-finished bathroom at some bus depot! :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Re: Painting dropped ceilings? - Posted by Gator

Posted by Gator on February 11, 2000 at 08:22:44:

Tom,
I’ve painted them. It brightens them up. Water stained tiles will need Kilz. Buy extra paint, the pourous nature of the tiles makes them tend to really soak up the paint. The first coat usually soaks completely in. You’ll need another coat.

Best of Luck,

Gator

Re: Painting dropped ceilings? - Posted by bob Hanson

Posted by bob Hanson on February 11, 2000 at 19:29:50:

I agree with Gator, they suck up the paint, but I’ve found them very helpful under bath/kitchen sinks in low end to mid rentals. That darn plumbing always leaks eventually and it’s easy to pop out and replace so I leave the rest of the box that was unused in the house attic to replace them when that happens.

Good luck investing,
Bob Hanson in Hyde Park, NY