Paying Back Taxes - Posted by Len_PA

Posted by mike-tx on April 09, 2000 at 20:27:46:

It will vary from locality to locality but most will allow it, Check with the taxing authority in your area.
Make sure you check with the people responsible for collecting the tax, in my area the county appraisal district collects all the taxes for the local goverments ,schools, hospitals, etc. When I lived in Louisiana the local sheriff collected the taxes. In many cases you will have a minimum monthly payment of $50.00 to $100.00 per month until the taxes are paid. good luck, mike

Paying Back Taxes - Posted by Len_PA

Posted by Len_PA on April 09, 2000 at 19:59:11:

I was called by a seller who wants to sell her house for $1000. She owes approximately $5000 in taxes from the last 5 years. I am thinking about making her an offer, but I am not sure how I would go about paying off the taxes. I don’t want to come out of my pocket all at once for $5000. Does the city government allow the taxes to be paid off in installments???

What about the tax sale? - Posted by Paul Carlin

Posted by Paul Carlin on April 10, 2000 at 15:56:35:

Find out about the tax sale. Is it comming soon?
If not, then do not worry, just get title and then flip it. Then pay off the taxes with your profit.
Tell the owner that, you can not come up with all the money that they need, and because of the past tax issue, you can only pay $500. Give it a try, it sounds like you have a bargining chip. You are helping her out of a $5000 tax debt.