Performance Mortgage--what it is? - Posted by Andrew

Posted by DanM(OR) on May 25, 1999 at 10:08:10:

Jim,

I know Bill has a lot of forms on his webpage that you can download for free. I would suggest though, that if you are specializing in L/Os I would get his course. It’s well worth the money. I am very pleased with it.

Jim B,

Good job on the post.

Your REI Friend,

Dan Matejsek

Performance Mortgage–what it is? - Posted by Andrew

Posted by Andrew on May 24, 1999 at 15:56:52:

I’ve seen the term “performance mortgage” kicked around here and there, but I don’t have a good feel for what it is and how it works. By the way, my RE dictionary doesn’t know either.

Could someone please explain what it is and how/why one would be used?

Also, can anyone (Bronchick, JHyre??) recommend a good RE Law book (textbook?)??

Thanks for your help!

-Andrew

Re: Performance Mortgage–what it is? - Posted by Jim Beavens

Posted by Jim Beavens on May 24, 1999 at 16:56:35:

In order to understand what a performance mortgage is, you first have to understand what a “regular” mortgage is. Bronchick gives a good definition of this, which I’ll paraphrase here.

When you go to a bank, you do not get a mortgage, you get a loan. Now what do you give to the bank in exchange for this loan? You give a mortgage, or a security interest. So you can picture this as a simple trade; the bank gives you gobs of money, and in return you give it a little piece of paper that promises to pay it back at a certain rate and for a certain term, or the bank is entitled to the property that is being loaned against. So a mortgage doesn’t necessarily have anything to do with money, it’s simply a promise to do something in writing. So in that regard ALL mortgages are performance mortgages, it’s just that the vast majority of them relate to a borrower performing on their loan payments.

So now look at what you want to accomplish with a performance mortgage. Without borrowing any money, the mortgagor (giver) is simply making a promise, and if that promise is broken, then the mortgagee (receiver) is entitled to foreclose as outlined in the mortgage.

So if I was buying a property subject to the existing mortgage and the seller didn’t trust my ability to make their mortgage payments, then I could offer to give them a performance mortgage that would outline my promise to pay in writing, and the failure to do so would give them the right to foreclose. Or if I was lease-optioning a house, and I didn’t trust the seller to honor the option in a year or two when I wanted to exercise, then I could ask him to give me a performance mortgage as part of his promise to honor our agreement. Again, failure to perform under this promise would give me the right to foreclose on the property.

Hope that helps, and I hope I didn’t mangle the legal stuff in my attempt to keep it in layman’s terms.

Re: Performance Mortgage–what it is? - Posted by Bill K. (AZ)

Posted by Bill K. (AZ) on May 24, 1999 at 16:05:53:

Andrew,

A “performance mortgage” is used to give the world notice of your interest in a piece of real estate.

Specifically, for lease/options, Bill Bronchick states, “An option may be in jeopardy if the owner of the property mortgages it beyond its value or has judgments or liens filed against the property. Recording a [performance] mortgage from the owner (optionor) will secure performance of the option agreement, particularly if the owner decides he/she wants to ‘reneg’ on the agreement”.

This quote is from Bill’s “Lease/Option Workshop” course. It’s full of this type of useful information.

I hope this helps.

Bill K. (AZ)

but where can I get one…for free? - Posted by Jim IL

Posted by Jim IL on May 24, 1999 at 21:47:20:

I’d love to use this instrument, and add it to my L/O’s.
We seem to be getting a few lately, and an additional protection of my interests would be nice.
Can you point me in the right direction for obtaining a FREE form or example of a “performance mortgage”?
Anyone?
thanks in advance,
Jim IL