Permit Problems - Posted by DJB

Posted by DJB on April 05, 2006 at 14:47:39:

I have somewhere to stay, so I’m not worried about that. I’m worried that they want a contractor to do the work because they don’t consider it my home, even though it’s the only one I now own :frowning:

Permit Problems - Posted by DJB

Posted by DJB on April 05, 2006 at 10:13:16:

I am currenly rehabbing a house for my first deal. I pulled permits after receiving a stop-work order from the city. I had gutted the house already.

When applying for the permits, I used my current address as the applicant. I sold my primary residence and now this rehab is my only address.

The city called today and said that since I am not the homeowner, I need contractors to do the work. I asked how I could become the homeowner, they said “move in”. How can I move in without finishing the work?

Anyone else have this problem? How to you handle it?

they said “move in”. - Posted by JT-IN

Posted by JT-IN on April 06, 2006 at 11:09:29:

Don’t fight City Hall… They told you to “move in”, so move in… at least as far as your claimed personal address is concerned.

You are asking the question between practical and feasible, versus what will get the requirements handled. Just tell them that this is your primary residence… and the problem is handled. If they ask you where you shower or sleep, you tell them that until you get the plumbing working, you go to the corner convenient mart for a sponge bath… Believe me, they will not care. Just do it… and problem solved.

JT-IN

Re: Permit Problems - Posted by Jeremy FL

Posted by Jeremy FL on April 06, 2006 at 08:39:45:

Not sure where you are located, but in Florida you can be an owner-builder if intend to live in or lease it(last time I checked). Must be different where you are. Find a GC to pull your permits and pay him a fee. I have done this for people.

Re: Permit Problems - Posted by ken

Posted by ken on April 05, 2006 at 16:09:25:

If you do not need a license to be a contractor go file a dba and tell them now you are a contractor.They will push you around if you do not push back

Re: Permit Problems - Posted by Tom NJ

Posted by Tom NJ on April 05, 2006 at 11:50:42:

DJB, are you in NJ?

Tom

Re: Permit Problems - Posted by Joe

Posted by Joe on April 05, 2006 at 10:28:07:

Where are you living now? Maybe rent an RV for a couple weeks and park it on the lot until you can get it to livable (but maybe not finished) condition? Also, what’s your definition of “move-in” or “livable” condition? To me, that’s a kitchen sink, a stove, a toilet, and a shower that all work.

Re: Permit Problems - Posted by DJB

Posted by DJB on April 05, 2006 at 14:46:33:

No, I’m in MI