Phone Scrip - Posted by Tom-Pa

Posted by ben on April 08, 2000 at 21:36:14:

OUTSTANDING POST, Mr. Piper!!! So much said in so few words - I laughed, I cried.

Phone Scrip - Posted by Tom-Pa

Posted by Tom-Pa on April 08, 2000 at 09:15:16:

I’m getting alot of response to my phone scrip so I thought I would post it for everyone.
For FSBO

Hi, this is __________
I was calling about your ad…
sounds like I caught you in the middle of something…

Is your property still available?

Can you tell me about the property? (ie: Where is it located?.. How many bedrooms?.. How maney Bathrooms?..)

This sounds like a wonderful house, why would you ever consider selling it?..

___________ (seller’s name), because I’m an investor that focuses only on nice homes in nice areas… can you tell me… is your home a nice home in a nice area?

I see… well I don’t know if there’s a reason for us to be talking or not. Because I’m an investor I have several different methods to buy your home. One method that i use is to lease a home for a year or two and than cash the seller out. Is that something we should talk about or probably not?

If they want to talk more than I will get more information from them and than set up a meeting to meet them and see the property.

For Rental Properties

Hi, this is ____________.

I was calling on your ad…
sounds like I caught you in the middle of something…

Is your property still available?..

Can you tell me about the property? (ie: Where is it located?.. How many bedrooms?.. Rent amount?..)

Oh, that’s great. I’m looking for a long-term lease of at least two years, is that OK?..

Assuming all of my rental payments came in to you on time, would you consider selling at the end of the two years?..

________(sellers name), because I’m an investor that focuses only on nice homes in nice areas… can you tell me… is your home a nice home in a nice area?

It is? Great. One last question, this sounds like a wonderful property- Why would you consider selling it?..
END

As you can see these scrips are made to try to lease option the properties. One of the biggest things that I’ve found is I do not say the words Lease Option, but describe it. If people don’t know what a l/o is they will shut you down because they don’t want to look dumb.
This will work for the better properties where the owner has no equity if you can get a long enough term. Good Luck. Tom-Pa

Re: Phone Scrip - Posted by Jim IL

Posted by Jim IL on April 09, 2000 at 16:20:43:

Tom,
No offense intended, but this script, I do not like it at all.
There are too many negative comments in it, that can lead to negative answers from the seller.
Example:
It says…“I see… well I don’t know if there’s a reason for us to be talking or not. Because I’m an investor I have several different methods to buy your home. One method that i use is to lease a home for a year or two and than cash the seller out. Is that something we should talk about or probably not?”

Here you are virtually setting the seller up to say “no” from the get go.
You put the words, “probably not” into there mind and they will stick, trust me on this.

And, the last question being “why are you selling?”.
That should be in the first part of the conversation, or at least the middle.
There is no point in my opinion in talking to the seller for long if you hear they are just selling it and have ZERO motivation.
Get to the motivation level first, then find a solution to the sellers problem.

Open ended questions will get you the best results, and skipping around from one topic to the other will get the seller to open up more with information.
This is classic interogation techniques used by anyone trying to gain information.

Let the seller do 95% of the talking, and take good notes. What you say should simply guide the seller to the info you need to make an offer that works.

And, make the questions you do ask simple and short.
Example: “Mr. Seller, why are you selling your home?”
This leaves the seller with an open board to tell you what is on their mind.

I would suggest that you read the articles here about talking to sellers, and making calls.
then, perhaps do an archive search on the same topic.
Frankly, I have my own methods that I derived from the many different ones offered here by others.
Eventually you will develope your own technique that works for you.
And remember, when talking to a seller, you are a sales person. You are selling yourself and your ideas to the seller. If they are motivated, and have a problem, then selling your ideas will not be hard, since you are offering what they NEED!

hope this helps a bit,
Jim IL

Not necessary - Posted by Earnest

Posted by Earnest on April 09, 2000 at 10:52:31:

A script does help the first couple calls, but you won’t need it very long, so don’t worry about it. Reading off a script can be counterproductive if you sound like that’s what you are doing. People want a person to interacts like a normal person and not like a disinterested pollster or telemarketer. I start from a written list of points I don’t want to miss, but other than that I think its better just to talk cordially, respectfully, and comfortably with the other party.

I know Sheets recommends people make “practice calls” from a script just to get use to the task and some experience, but with no intentions on following up with the calls. Your not putting out the other party very much. Its only a few minutes of his or her time, and they may need the practice for what they’re trying to do, too. I did a few practice calls and it was helpful.

I’m still new to this REI thing, and I am finding it all makes common sense. As with most things any novice begins thinking any new task or idea is unique and complicated. It’s not. Buy low, sell high. . . . its not brain surgery. The more one learns the more comfortable one gets.

Re: Phone Scrip - Posted by Bobby(TN)

Posted by Bobby(TN) on April 08, 2000 at 19:58:20:

Tom
I mean this in a positive way. I would reconsider the
way you post copyrighted material like this.
It could lead to expensive legal problems that no amount of RE profits could pay for.
For your sake I hope the author of my couse doesn’t see this post.

Godd Investing

Re: Phone Scrip - Posted by Matt B

Posted by Matt B on April 08, 2000 at 16:38:41:

Hi, Tom. I met you at the convention where we both got that script. It does work very well for me also. Lets you find out the seller’s motivation real fast. Have you been doing many lease options? I just thought it was interesting seeing you post here since I met you not too long ago. It was great meeting you, although I never did get a chance to use that appraiser you mentioned. The deal fell through.

Has the course you got from that convention been working well for you? Were you doing lease options before that?

Re: Phone Scrip - Posted by Tom-Pa

Posted by Tom-Pa on April 08, 2000 at 09:24:56:

If anyone wants to e-mail me for the lease option that I use when I buy or the l/o I use when I sell. My e-mail Address is tcbryner@dp.net. Good Luck. Tom-Pa

I will be in St Louis April 27,28,29,30. if anyone wants to meet and network. I should be at the hotel by 5:30 PM.

Re: Phone Scrip - Posted by JPiper

Posted by JPiper on April 08, 2000 at 20:43:05:

If the author of this script actually see’s this post, I hope he/she will not embarrass him/herself by admitting to being the author…let alone create any legal problems over the script. My guess is the author has kept his “good script” a carefully guarded secret.

JPiper