Plumbing - Posted by Rise2it

Posted by bobb on December 14, 2006 at 09:38:44:

Was this ever posted.
I have a smelly mobile home. . .

bobb

Plumbing - Posted by Rise2it

Posted by Rise2it on September 11, 2004 at 14:28:06:

What do you guys use to patch/replace plumbing lines/fittings in mobile homes?

I know these are sold with no warranty, but don’t want to sell one and have the future owner have problems out of it.

Anything you’ve found that’s better to use - there’s so many choices: PVC, CPVC, some kind of black flexible stuff, and stuff i can’t even remember…

Re: Plumbing - Posted by Joe C. (AR)

Posted by Joe C. (AR) on September 12, 2004 at 24:19:51:

Pex is definitely the best. You don’t have to use the crimper. There are other types of fittings available. “Qest” fitting are available at Lowes or HD, but can be expensive. I use a lot of “FlairIt” fittings which Ive never had a problem with and are much cheaper. I get my pex and fittings from a MH parts supplier.
Joe C. (AR)

Re: Plumbing - Posted by Tony-VA/NC

Posted by Tony-VA/NC on September 11, 2004 at 14:58:33:

In most cases you will simply replace a broken line or bad fitting with whatever plumbing material is already present. This is usually the fastest and cheapest repair.

If you are holding long term, then a more extensive replacement may be a better value. In that case, I would suggest PVC (DO NOT USE CPVC - CPVC freezes and splits everywhere).

Schedule 40 PVC is easy to work with, is durable and requires little cost for tools or material.

Pex is probably the best as it does not burst (it can freeze). But the tools are more expensive and so are the fittings. If you are going to re-plumb a whole house, Pex might be worth considering.

Tony

Re: Plumbing - Posted by mike

Posted by mike on September 11, 2004 at 16:14:16:

Id use the pex. The crimping tool is probably a hundred bucks or so but thats nothing compaired to haveing a tenant call you up sunday morning and telling you his water pipes have burst and are leaking all over the house…
Also I have a nice way of fixing a toilet so it doesnt leak around the base if any of you ever run into that problem and the wax seal just wont hold…

Re: Plumbing - Posted by Mike

Posted by Mike on September 12, 2004 at 07:14:14:

Ok Eli, Heres what I had to do.Sometimes if the floor isnt 100% level when someone sits on the toilet it will rock slightly and break the wax seal. So after toying with homemade silicon gaskets I discovered that they make a soft rubber gasket thats intended to be used on a wall hung toilet.It looks just like the wax one but its able to flex just enough to maintain the seal. You’ll have to go to a plumbing house to find one. Lowes doesnt carry them and even one of the plumbing houses I went to didnt know what I was talking about. I got mine from ‘Nolan and company’…

Why tease us??? - Posted by Eli

Posted by Eli on September 12, 2004 at 01:24:30:

Mike spill your secret about this toilet thing. Im sure one day I will be able to tell a manager or someone the quick fix. Thanks in advance

Speaking of teasing us . . . - Posted by Gregory (VA)

Posted by Gregory (VA) on September 12, 2004 at 13:43:41:

LOL, Eli. You hinted at having some very creative ways of getting rid of the “cat” smell from flooring. I’m still anxiously awaiting your post “Bad Smells” that you promised to post on these message boards.

http://www.creonline.com/mobilehomes/wwwboard4/messages/43185.html

I’ll go right the novel again… - Posted by Eli

Posted by Eli on September 12, 2004 at 14:19:38:

Sorry everyone. I promised that I would write the solution to getting rid of bad smells and aparently I didnt get it posted. I did write it however. Granted it was about 3:00 in the mornig when I did it so please forgive me for not getting it on the site. I will write it right now and if it doesnt show up let me know!!! And I want to hear some success stories.