Police run in putting up bandit signs - Posted by Ryan

Posted by waynepdx on July 12, 2002 at 01:47:25:

I have given this some considerable cost, and you are right I am a petty thief.

IN lieu of this, I did go out after work today and replace all of the signs that I took down.

I did not remember exactly where they were all at, but I did remove some of my signs at the most sought out intersections and put them in its place.

Police run in putting up bandit signs - Posted by Ryan

Posted by Ryan on July 04, 2002 at 23:03:41:

I just got my first batch of bandit signs from banditsigns.com and decided to put them up last night. I used one of those heavy duty staple guns that you just have to hit against the pole like a hammer and it made putting up the signs real easy. I stopped to put up a sign on one of main routes in one of the towns around here and got out of my car to open my rear door. When I was reaching for a sign I was bent over in the back seat and then I stood up and there was cop right behind me with his lights on. I shut my door and walked over to his car before he could get out and he asked me what was going on, so I told him I was looking for a CD under my passenger seat. He said,so there’s no problem and I said - nope, but thanks for stopping though and then he drove off. Thank God I wasn’t standing on the crate stapling a sign into the pole or he would have had my name for every sign in that town. I covered quite a bit of area with the 25 signs and I think it’s gonna be tough for them to come down. I have another 100 on the way so I should be able to get about a 500 square mile area covered. I saw a few make 1500/pt - 2500/ft signs, but no other RE related signs. I don’t know if there just aren’t enough motivated sellers around or no one has visited this site in my area, but I’m hoping I get some calls. Anyone ever figured out any stats with their signs? How many calls per sign? Best location? I hoping I have some prospective deals to post for adivce soon! - Ryan

Re: Police run in putting up bandit signs - Posted by Bruce Ventura

Posted by Bruce Ventura on July 04, 2002 at 23:53:22:

I have had one call on my signs in a new area that I put them up in.The call came from the town’s department of streets & sewers, and I was told that I can only post signs on a property that is for sale.I also was told that my signs were taken down and if found again, they would contact the town’s police department.
That was the only call in over 100 signs.

Bruce IL

Re: Police run in putting up bandit signs - Posted by Nathan(oh)

Posted by Nathan(oh) on July 04, 2002 at 23:25:28:

I have come close to getting seen by the cops, but never worry too much about it. Once I started putting my signs in the ground I have had much less resistance. however, in regards to your question on calls, I now only use bandit signs and receive enough calls in my busy city to get 2-5 deals per month. I stopped all other advertising because it was more costly than it was worth and the signs get me the best leads. I now hire people to put them up for me so that I don’t have to stay up so late and if they get caught, I tell them to blame it on me. Keep putting them up and you will get enough calls to get you going. The main part is to just be repetitive and keep at it.

Good Luck!

Re: Police run in putting up bandit signs - Posted by jerry

Posted by jerry on July 04, 2002 at 23:20:58:

This won’t be the first time I’ve been a doofus, but I have to ask anyway: if the authorities have a problem with your signs, don’t they know where to find their culprit by the phone number on the sign?

Also, before I spend my $185 or whatever, doesn’t anybody get calls from the authorities with either a warning, a demand that you take every one of the signs down or a citation/fine?

Re: Police run in putting up bandit signs - Posted by Ryan

Posted by Ryan on July 04, 2002 at 23:58:26:

Have you had better luck in other areas? What’s the popluation and how big of area did you spread your signs across? That sounds discouraging.

Re: Police run in putting up bandit signs - Posted by Dave

Posted by Dave on July 09, 2002 at 15:51:47:

Hi Nathan, where did you find the people to put up the signs for you?

Re: Police run in putting up bandit signs - Posted by Juan

Posted by Juan on July 05, 2002 at 11:32:36:

Some of these phone calls come from your competition, so don’t get intimidated too fast. If you are not comfortable posting the signs do not get hung up on it, try something else. I knock on doors, I enjoy it!

This business should be fun do not get discouraged over minor things, if you do you will NEVER be succesful.

Juan

Get an 800 # with a voice mail (NT) - Posted by Scott Ewing S.W. Mich

Posted by Scott Ewing S.W. Mich on July 05, 2002 at 06:28:18:

nt

Re: Police run in putting up bandit signs - Posted by Ryan

Posted by Ryan on July 04, 2002 at 23:42:55:

I used a web-based number from ureach.com so I think they only way they can get my name is if they contact ureach and hopefully they just don’t give out that info to anyone and they’ll need a court order to reveal who owns the number. There are also local companies who advertise on telephone poles and there signs have been there for awhile. Anyway… I wouldn’t worry about it because it’s not like your commiting a serious crime. The cops have more lucrative things to do - like hand out speeding tickets so they can get that new cruiser at the end of year! Just make it hard to find you and they probably won’t think it’s worth the effort.

Re: Police run in putting up bandit signs - Posted by Bruce IL

Posted by Bruce IL on July 05, 2002 at 15:31:54:

Ryan
I live in the Chicago suburbs [Northwest area]
This call I got was from a tiny area, but they are building new homes there and that was my target for the signs. I have a lot of different areas that I put signs up in and have never had a proplem. To me, signs are one of the best ways of getting motivated sellers to call you. I do get alot of “tire kickers” thought!!!

Bruce IL

Re: Police run in putting up bandit signs - Posted by waynepdx

Posted by waynepdx on July 05, 2002 at 01:55:10:

I dont want to be the one that tests the theory that they have more lucrative things to do.

I have puts signs up in a town and within two hours I got a call from the police department to remove them all or they would fine me five hundred bucks per sign.

I had to go remove all of them.

I dont think the areas I place my signs in now really care.

The thing about where I place my signs now is that I have put signs up at the same intersections for months on end and then all of the sudden other investors see that as an opportunity to put their signs up on the same pole.

Now on the off chance they can see my signs they rip them down, but most of them are pretty high on the telephone poles and they last quite awhile.

Today I removed about 30 other investor signs that were at the same intersections as mine.

Before I never removed other investors signs, but I concentrate my bandit signs in a 20-30 minute area around my primary residence. I came to a conclusion today that I will remove any other investors signs in this area that I see. We are in a competition business and steps must be taken to ensure that.

How many deals come from the target area around my house.
Not much, but I am going to make sure that they come to me first.

So in other words you’re a thief? - Posted by Charles

Posted by Charles on July 05, 2002 at 10:03:13:

You said “Today I removed about 30 other investor signs that were at the same intersections as mine.”

What makes you think you can remove someone else’s signs like that? Do you think just because you live there you have the exclusive right to place your bandit signs where you chose and remove everyone else’s because you can’t handle the competition? How much did you pay for your signs? Whatever you paid multiply that by “about 30” and that’s what you just stole from somebody else. You better be careful because to take down 30 signs that other people have put up with the same goal as you means that you have to get out of your car many times and you never know who might be camping out to kick your !@@. If you are a class above the other investors you’ll have the opportunities to shine.

Are you always this trustworthy in your business transactions? I wouldn’t want to sell you anything at a garage sale let alone a house. You’re nothing but a petty thief!

One thing this website is about is being creative. Any moron can steal… just look at all the thiefs in our prisons today. But it takes a creative mind. A business mind. Someone with the heart that it takes to see the business through the rough times.

There was recently an article about someone that sued the guy that was removing his bandit signs. And do you know what? The victim WON! And he was handsomely reimbursed for his losses. Maybe someone knows the article I am referring to and will post a link to it.

There is one thing that I learned in the Marine Corps and that is integrity.

Charles

Integrity? - Posted by Drew

Posted by Drew on July 08, 2002 at 08:33:35:

Charles,

I’m a firm believer in integrity, truth, honor, etc. I certainly agree that stealing isn’t an honorable way to do this business. You were right to point this out to Wayne. However, I’d go one step further.

Posting a sign on property (public or private) without the owner’s permission doesn’t sit well with me either. I’m not so concerned about the legality of it, that’s up to the locals to decide. I just know that I wouldn’t be too thrilled to find signs posted on my property without my permission.

-Drew

PS - I remember the article you referenced. The fact, that most everyone overlooked, is that the signs were placed legally. That’s why he won the suit. IMHO, it’s doubtful that the same verdict would be handed down if they were truly bandit (i.e. illegal) signs.

Re: So in other words you’re a thief? - Posted by waynepdx

Posted by waynepdx on July 05, 2002 at 16:35:59:

Your reasoning for comparing removing signs and business deals is far stretched at the very least.

If I choose to remove signs, then I will remove the signs. The signs I have removed is the same investors that remove my signs.

If they can remove mine, then I can remove theirs.

I really dont care what you learned as one of Uncle Sams Miguided Children, If I wish to have a lecturer from you I will post it as a direct question to you.

I was not seeking your acceptance or blessing to do it so in the future keep your petty thief comments to yourself.

Re: So in other words you’re a thief? - Posted by Charles

Posted by Charles on July 06, 2002 at 01:26:26:

My “reasoning for camparing removing signs and business deals” is NOT far stretched at the very least. You admitted to stealing. I used to steal… I was in 5th grade without a dime to my name… but I wanted that piece of candy sooo bad that I stole it. Don’t be offended by the truth of my words. If anything be ashamed for the thief that you are!

Your logic behind stealing each others signs is humorous! I admit that I enjoy a little game playing but you reach a point where you have to say enough is enough… we are both mature adults… at least I hope you do. Don’t you? Don’t be ashamed if you don’t it only comes with maturity my friend.

I really dont care what you learned as one of Uncle Sams Miguided Children, If I wish to have a lecturer from you I will post it as a direct question to you.

Truthly Wayne, I don’t care what you think of my “lecturer” (I think you meant to say letcture). I am only speaking my mind. Last I heard it was my right. The right that many of “Uncle Sam’s Misguided Children” have sacrificed their lives for. If it weren’t for brave souls like us YOU my friend, would not live in a country that affords you all the rights that you take advantage of today. I am sure many other creonliners would step in and agree with me there.

I do not seek anybodys “acceptance”. In the future if I wish to exercise my freedom of speach and tell someone how I feel about their stealing of signs… let me tell you that I will… and without regard to what you are “seeking” or not.

Charles