Postcards mass mailing to find buyers?? - Posted by Mike

Posted by Bob Eberle on June 18, 1999 at 13:08:15:

then I would register first but still wouldn’t ask for the apartment management’s permission.

Postcards mass mailing to find buyers?? - Posted by Mike

Posted by Mike on June 17, 1999 at 11:14:59:

Hi.

I have a rehab that I’m trying to sell. I want to do a mass mailing of postcards to help find a buyer. Can anyone tell me the best way to come up with a list of addresses within, say, a 1 mile radius of my property. There must be something search engine on the internet or software I could buy that would give me this information.

Also, does anyone have any tips for wording a postcard like this. I want to target not only potential homebuyers, but also offer a finders fee for anyone that may know of a buyer.

Thanks.
Mike

Re: Postcards mass mailing to find buyers?? - Posted by Frank [Pgh PA]

Posted by Frank [Pgh PA] on June 17, 1999 at 19:51:35:

Try this…http://www.att.com/directory/ enter the street name only [no number], zip code and state. You’ll get a list of all residents on that street who have listed phone numbers. Then, do the same for surrounding streets.

Re: Postcards mass mailing to find buyers?? - Posted by jason

Posted by jason on June 17, 1999 at 17:16:11:

correct me if im wrong here, but arent there backwards phone directories? so you can lookup street addresses
instead of names. this way you know each house number on a particular street. draw a circle around your house on a map so you can find all the streets around you. correspond the streets on the map w/ the streets in the directory. now you know all house numbers of the streets in the radius. u can probaly find an electronic directory and a map (maybe directory and definitly a map on the web.) that is, if this directory actually exists, but im almost sure it does.

jason

Re: Neighborhood flyers to find buyers - Posted by SandyFL

Posted by SandyFL on June 17, 1999 at 16:58:27:

What Jim Piper once told me is, he would distribute flyers to every nearby apt complex in the neighborhood. He would go up and down the street distributing them personally if he had to, in order to personally meet with the potential buyers, bring them by the house he was selling, and once under contract, take them to the bank. The idea of staying within the neighborhood is good, the folks living there are already familiar with the neighborhood, and it may very well be within their price range.

Good Luck

SandyFL

Why one mile ? - Posted by David (TN)

Posted by David (TN) on June 17, 1999 at 13:27:09:

What I can’t understand is why you would want to send postcards to people within a “one” mile radius of your home? Do you think that potential buyers live that close to your home ? It seems to me that it would be more beneficial to send them to apartment complexes around your area. And I agree, it still sounds expensive!

Why? - Posted by Jim IL

Posted by Jim IL on June 17, 1999 at 13:20:00:

Mike,
Not that your idea is a bad one, because I’ve never done a mass mailing for buyers, so I have no real experience in whether or not it will work.
But, why would you need to use a post card to find buyers?
Sounds like an expensive way to go about it to me.
I just run ads in the paper, and that seems to bring in more buyers than needed EVERYTIME!
Are you selling it with terms, or does your buyer need to get there own financing?
If you are offering it CASH, CHEAP, run an ad to that effect.
or
If you are selling with terms, try an ad that says, “NO BANKS NEEDED” and a few basic details about the home.
I assure you that in no time at all you will get more calls than you can handle.
Also, call some local mortgage brokers and tell them your deal, and see if thay have any “pre-approved” buyers that may be interested?
Take the good ones to lunch and perhaps they will even give you a “cut” of there fees.
Either way, you will sell this fast, if it is a good deal.
Good luck,
Jim IL

Re: Postcards mass mailing to find buyers?? - Posted by Bob Rice

Posted by Bob Rice on June 17, 1999 at 12:17:08:

Try contacting your local title company. They offer this service for free through their customer service department, in return, you use their services.

Re: Neighborhood flyers to find buyers - Posted by WilliamGA

Posted by WilliamGA on June 17, 1999 at 17:07:54:

Sandy,

How do the apartment managers feel about you distributing flyers to their tenants? Did Jim say whether or not they were ok with this? Sounds like a good idea but I can’t help but think that they wouldn’t like us trying to “steal” their tenants.

Re: Neighborhood flyers to find buyers - Posted by Bill K. (AZ)

Posted by Bill K. (AZ) on June 18, 1999 at 19:50:14:

William,

I wouldn’t hesitate to contact renters. They are potential homeowners.

Some apartment complexes don’t like people soliciting door-to-door for ANYTHING, but they can’t stop you from mailing something to their tenants.

Finally, you’re not really “stealing” their tenants. If these people are truly interested in buying, they aren’t going to be renters much longer anyway. Now, if I owned another apartment complex, then I might feel bad, but only a little bit! :wink:

Bill K. (AZ)

Re: Neighborhood flyers to find buyers - Posted by Bill K. (AZ)

Posted by Bill K. (AZ) on June 18, 1999 at 14:07:47:

William,

I wouldn’t hesitate to contact renters. They are potential homeowners.

Some apartment complexes don’t like people soliciting door-to-door, but they can’t stop you from mailing something to their tenants.

Finally, you’re not really “stealing” their tenants. If these people are truly interested in buying, they aren’t going to be renters much longer anyway. Now, if I owned another apartment complex, then I might feel bad, but only a little bit! :wink:

Bill K. (AZ)

It is easier to ask for forgiveness than it is to ask for permission (n/t) - Posted by Bob Eberle

Posted by Bob Eberle on June 18, 1999 at 05:10:43:

Re: It is easier to ask for forgiveness than it is to ask for permission (n/t) - Posted by Bud Branstetter

Posted by Bud Branstetter on June 18, 1999 at 12:55:07:

Good thought but you must be careful. The other day I saw an individual placing door hangers. I was going to stop and get his name and phone number to utilize him directly. Just then the local police stopped to give him a ticket for soliciting without a registering with the city.