Power of Attorney no good for Endorsing Check - Posted by Percy

Posted by JPiper on January 18, 2000 at 18:15:24:

This sounds like YOUR bank’s policy that the payee must have an account. My bank has cashed these checks. Perhaps a little more volume to your voice.

JPiper

Power of Attorney no good for Endorsing Check - Posted by Percy

Posted by Percy on January 18, 2000 at 17:31:49:

My Bank refused to accept an insurance claim check for one of my “Subject To” properties. The check is made out to the previous owner of the property. Even though I have a properly executed Power of Attorney from the previous seller, the Bank supervisor said not good enough. The Bank requires that the Payee on the check have an account with them.

I also found out that all insurance claims over $1500.00 require an endorsement from the Mortgage Company. (In the future I will insist on my trustee be added as an additional insured.)

I now have to try and track down the Seller and have him cash the check for me. Live and learn :frowning:

Endorsement may be the problem - Posted by Dave T

Posted by Dave T on January 18, 2000 at 21:23:42:

How did you endorse the check? If you are just trying to cash the check with only your attorney-in-fact endorsement, then I understand the bank’s position. My bank won’t cash “foreign” checks either. They define a foreigh check as a check not drawn on their bank for a payee who does not have an account with their bank.

If you added your personal endorsement below the attorney-in-fact endorsement, then the bank should have no problem depositing the check into your account. Depositing the check should be easier than cashing it outright since the bank can put a hold on the funds until the check clears.

Let us know how it comes out.

Re: Power of Attorney no good for Endorsing Check - Posted by Rob FL

Posted by Rob FL on January 18, 2000 at 20:35:27:

Maybe try the bank the check is made out on or some check cashing place.