Pre-foreclosure ads - Posted by Doug Pretorius

Posted by Tom, Cincinnati, OH on June 06, 2000 at 15:49:16:

William,
Does the Daily Reporter just cover Columbus? If so, do you know of an equivalent paper here in Cincinnati?

Thanks,

Tom

Pre-foreclosure ads - Posted by Doug Pretorius

Posted by Doug Pretorius on June 05, 2000 at 18:38:37:

I’m looking for an example of a good ad to get that person who’s facing foreclosure (power-of-sale actually) to call me.

TIA!

PS: That would be an ad in the paper and/or a sign ad.

Re: Pre-foreclosure ads - Posted by George

Posted by George on June 05, 2000 at 20:41:36:

Try one or both of:

1. look ad other ads in your area, do what they do.
  2. get names of the owners and contact them.

Re: Pre-foreclosure ads - Posted by Doug Pretorius

Posted by Doug Pretorius on June 05, 2000 at 21:24:44:

1. There are no ads in any of my local papers for the purchase of real estate, so I can’t follow them.

2. Where do I get them? And remember, I’m in Canada, so be general not specific, the names and locations may be very different.

Re: Pre-foreclosure ads - Posted by George

Posted by George on June 05, 2000 at 22:12:30:

1. In New York a foreclosure must be advertized in a newspaper, both the pre-foreclosure called a Lis pendis here and the actual notice of sale. In New York the New York Law journal is a publication with many such ads, find your local equivalent. Look through each page of each major newspaper and legal newspaper for legal advertizing.

2. If Canada is like NY go to your local court house/registrar for:
    –1) a legal library.
    –2) to learn how deeds, mortgages and liens are recorded.
    –3) to learn how foreclosures, tax auctions are done.
    Just ask somebody.

3. As far as your ad goes I have no experience in that area. All I can say is keep the ad real simple as the people who get into such trouble are often unsophisticated and often do not speak english well.

I am told that Canada is a big place, you did not specify rural or city. A rural court house with little going on might be willing to give you a list of such properties without a fuss. As you might expect in NYC they make you earn it.

Re: Pre-foreclosure ads - Posted by GIO

Posted by GIO on June 07, 2000 at 19:46:26:

hi george, i’m also in nyc, what area of r.e. do you concentrate on, and is it pre-4closures, how successful are you with them ?

Re: Pre-foreclosure ads - Posted by Doug Pretorius

Posted by Doug Pretorius on June 05, 2000 at 22:48:48:

Just so you know, it is a waste of time to bother with properties that have already been foreclosured on here. The banks are totally inflexible and perfectly content to leave the property on the market for as long as it takes to get FMV or better.

So I have to cut to the people that are about to lose their home so I can offer them freedom from their payment burden and save their credit.

Here, a bank can exercise power-of-sale after 3 missed payments, the properties are usually in very bad shape, but the banks still won’t deal. So I figure this is the best way.

Thanks for your suggestions, I’ll give them a try.

Re: Pre-foreclosure ads - Posted by William, Columbus, OH

Posted by William, Columbus, OH on June 06, 2000 at 24:42:44:

Doug: Telephone your courthouse and ask them where they advertise a foreclosure announcement and tax sales, etc. Here in my city they advertise in a special newspaper called the Daily Reporter. In a smaller city they advertise in the local newspaper for the county seat and only on Wednesday with the results of the sales published in Thursday’s paper. If you can learn that information then you can use a postcard or letter that states “I’ll Buy Your House”. Then it might ask: Do You Have Any Of These Common Problems?
Show a list of problems, how you can resolve them, and other pertinent information. If you find out where the list of foreclosures are published then contact me and I will share my postcard information with you, okay? You can either use it or modify it to your preference. May you be happy & well … and successful.