Property Taxes..........Challenging an assessment - Posted by REInewbie_IL

Posted by REInewbie_IL on March 17, 2006 at 10:22:30:

Thanks, I called up the Assessor’s office in my area and was given the necessary info to start the process

Property Taxes…Challenging an assessment - Posted by REInewbie_IL

Posted by REInewbie_IL on March 14, 2006 at 07:29:36:

I don’t know if this is the best place for this, but I have a question regarding Assessment Value of a home. Has anyone ever file a challenged one?

I got a letter from a company called Tax & Utility Reduction Consultants Inc (based in IL and is registered with BBB) stating that I am currently paying more in property taxes that homes similar to mine due to a higher assessment value. Since I was doubtful, I had the lady show me how they came to that conclusion (mainly to test and see if she was genuine) and she did. We went to the Cook county assessor’s website and looked up stuff and I asked a lot of questions.

Has anybody done this before?

Is it possible to do it myself? If yes, could someone walk me through the process?

Thanks.

Re: Property Taxes…Challenging an assess - Posted by The Frisco Kid

Posted by The Frisco Kid on March 17, 2006 at 10:30:05:

Yes this is done all the time, you just need to check with the county for the procedure details and any deadline dates, etc.

Don’t know IL law but in many states consultants can’t legally charge a few for this service unless an attorney is involved. I know of one case where a consultant got their client a reduction on a commercial property of over $200,000 and then the client stiffed her, and the court held she needed to be a lawyer to collect her fee.

Re: Property Taxes… - Posted by bill

Posted by bill on March 14, 2006 at 16:25:34:

a friend of mine in central IL went to the courthouse and complained. they actually lowered his property taxes. i dont know how often this happens but it worked for him