PROS AND CONS OF BEING A REAL ESTATE AGENT - Posted by COURT

Posted by Rob FL on January 19, 1999 at 11:40:47:

Good point. I offer on HUD and VA repos with no commission to myself and therefore increase their net.

The continuing education is not too bad. I have done all mine through correspondance from my own home. No classes to attend.

PROS AND CONS OF BEING A REAL ESTATE AGENT - Posted by COURT

Posted by COURT on January 17, 1999 at 23:25:55:

WHAT DO SOME OF YOU SEE AS BEING THE PROS AND CONS FOR BEING A REAL ESATE INVESTOR, AND A REAL ESTATE AGENT AT THE SAME TIME? ARE THERE CERTAIN THINGS YOU CANNOT DO IF YOU ARE AN AGENT? I AM A VERY NEW AGENT AND WOULD LIKE TO START INVESTING AND AM JUST TRYING TO GATHER AS MUCH INFO AS POSSIBLE. ME AND MY FATHER HAVE BOUGHT, FIXED UP AND SOLD A FEW HOMES, THAT IS WHY I BECAME A REALTOR, SO THAT I COULD MAKE MONEY FROM THE PURCHASE RIGHT OFF THE BAT, YET AFTER DOING A LITTLE RESEARCH(LIKE FINDING THIS SITE) I AM LEARNING THERE ARE MANY MORE WAYS TO MAKE THE $ WITHOUT AS MUCH TIME AND HASSLE. PLEASE LET ME PICK SOME BRAINS AND LEARN. ALSO WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHAT SOME OF YOU THINK WOULD BE THE BEST LEARNING MATERIAL TO PURCHASE FIRST!! THANK YOU

Pros and Cons - Posted by Rob FL

Posted by Rob FL on January 18, 1999 at 18:56:49:

Here are some:

Pros:
easier and more efficient access to the MLS

easier to make appointments when it only involves you (without a realtor you have to meet at the property)

save money on commissions both when you buy and when you sell

allows you access to much of the information and benefits that the realtor’s give out for being a member (law changes and updates, real estate news updates, legal hotline, group insurance rates and I hear a national 401(k) type plan may be in the works, realtor’s store with all the forms and signs, lockbox keys, etc.)

Cons:

held out to be an expert by a court of law

extra disclosure requirements

must abide by realtor’s code of ethics (of course most of this you should be doing anyway just for good business sake)

my .02

Re: PROS AND CONS OF BEING A REAL ESTATE AGENT - Posted by Jim IL

Posted by Jim IL on January 18, 1999 at 02:00:58:

First off, TURN OFF THE CAPS LOCK KEY!
When online, typing in all upper case is BAD ettiquette, and means that you are yelling!
Secondly,
your reading material and courses you select should be based on what you want to accomplish.
There are many great courses and books here, buy some and read them.
Try Ron Legrand, and others.
Good Luck, and welcome to CRE.

One more pro/con - Posted by Irwin

Posted by Irwin on January 19, 1999 at 07:08:21:

PRO:
You can represent yourself in purchasing HUD and VA repos. You have an edge on a buyer who is represented by a broker, charging a commission.
CON:
You have continuing Broker education requirement to be met. Takes some time, but you will usually learn things you need to know.