protection for servicemen - Posted by Janet

Posted by Dennis TN on September 30, 2003 at 23:23:49:

Since I was in the Navy for 20 years I’ll try to answer this for you. Because the son is in a war zone he is protected from you moving the home and he does not have to paylot rent. If you had an agent I would contact them and the selling agent. You were given bad information and both of them should be held responsible for the false information. You may also want to talk to a lawyer.

protection for servicemen - Posted by Janet

Posted by Janet on September 30, 2003 at 22:58:54:

We closed on a 20 acre mini ranch today . It has 2 small houses, a barn, sheds,etc. Also on the land, but not included in the contract is a DW that the sellers’ son and daughter-in-law decided to walk away from. He is in IRaq, she took a job in another city and moved away. She tried to sell the DW but didn’t find a buyer. We were assured by the seller’s agent that she had talked tothe finance co. and that they would remove the home within 30 days. So after closing I called to make sure they would get it soon and was told that no one can touch the home because of the Sailor and Servicemens Protection(something like that)Act. They say they also don’t have to pay me any lot rent. This house is sitting right where we plan tobuild a new house.
Our bank loaned us money based on an appraisal that included a site built house on this spot.
Do any of you experts have any suggestions? Thank you!

Is this an opportunity - Posted by Dr. B (OH)

Posted by Dr. B (OH) on October 01, 2003 at 18:00:57:

If you can get someone to contact the serviceman and get a signed letter from him stating he is letting it go back to the bank, you might benefit. Once the bank owns it, you could buy it from the bank wholesale, then sell it for discounted retail with MUST BE MOVED as part of the deal. The bank may also just have it moved to a storage lot.

Good luck,
Steve