Question for Dallas area investors - Posted by Sally Fodern

Posted by Sally Fodern on August 20, 2003 at 13:35:50:

Thanks for the reply, I’m aware of those. They are great. However, I’m looking for a service to run comps without having to use one inadequate service for comps, and then have to go to other websites to look up the details on each individual property.

Question for Dallas area investors - Posted by Sally Fodern

Posted by Sally Fodern on August 19, 2003 at 23:58:02:

Trying to figure out how to get comps, aside from bugging my realtor all the time. I’ve tried DataQuick - their service isn’t available for any of the counties around here. Then I tried RealQuest.com, which is basically useless because none of the listings give even basic info like bedrooms and baths, the square footage is wrong half the time, etc. Homeprofile.com is useless as well. I’m willing to pay and these services are supposed to be the “best” as far as I know, so I’m wondering what this means. Is there something about the Dallas, TX area that causes these expensive services to not be able to provide accurate info for this area? So I’m back full circle and it seems like the MLS is the only good way to get comps. But I’m just not doing enough deals yet to bother my realtor with 1 or 2 comps every day. Plus, I don’t want to have to wait 4, 8, 24 hours, etc for the realtor to get back to me. What else can I do?? Just curious what everyone else is doing. Surely there is an easier and more efficient way to do this? I’m almost ready to look into getting a real estate license just so I can get access to the MLS. Anyone know of any “friendly” realtors in the area that will share their web-based MLS access in return for listings, etc.? My realtor just won’t do it …

Re: Question for Dallas area investors - Posted by roger lee martin

Posted by roger lee martin on August 21, 2003 at 24:00:43:

try www,dallascad.org/searchaddr.aspx
this will give you the lastest appraisal from dallas county plus owners name

MyCastle - Posted by Jeff TX

Posted by Jeff TX on August 20, 2003 at 14:50:34:

I use MyCastle. They offer various investor services including comps. Before that I just payed an agent a flat fee per month for unlimited comps.

Re: Question for Dallas area investors - Posted by Maxx(TX)

Posted by Maxx(TX) on August 20, 2003 at 07:25:41:

Sally,

Contact me and we can discuss a business proposition together. I have a real estate license and invest in Rental properties.

Call GDAR or www.dallasrealtor.com. Ask for the MLS department and see if you can join their MLS without being a Realtor and let me know how it goes.

Also, if you dont mind me adding this comment: If you had “farm” your area well and know it like the back of your hand, you know if it’s a good deal when you see the house vs. price. At that point, you know when to strike and even if your Realtor gets back to you in 4-8hours, it will be good enough.

Is your realtor familiar with the area you work in? I know of many realtors who turn their back on me, before I got my license. Guess they’ve been burnt many times.

We can work together if you like and by providing comps for past 6 months, study them in the area that you work in. But if you have signed a Buyer’s Rep Agreement, we can discuss that too. I dont “take” another Realtor’s client because I also wont want that to happen to me.

Can a non-Dallas area person … - Posted by Ronald * Starr (in No CA)

Posted by Ronald * Starr (in No CA) on August 20, 2003 at 01:36:44:

Sally Fodern–(TX)----------

Can a non-Dallas area person answer your question? I have some emotional ties to your area, as my grandpa Starr was born and grew up in Anderson County. And I have been there several times.

First American Real Estate Solutions has information for Dallas, Denton, and Tarrant Counties. It has information on some other counties also, but I don’t recognize any of them as being close to you. I’m sure you can get more information from them as to what information they have for the counties. They have a toll-free number you can get from the toll-free operator and they have a web presence, I think at www.fares.com, but a google seach should find it if that is not right.

I’d also suggest you talk to the appraisal districts in your area and ask them if they know of any other operators who buy their information and resell it to the public, like DataQuick and FARES.

Good InvestingRon Starr*********

Posted by Maxx(TX) on August 21, 2003 at 08:15:25:

If an Investor studies the area well and long enough, he/she would know the tax accessed values vs. FMV.

Collin counties, depending on which cities will fetch higher FMVs than tax accessed values. Dallas counties, a little less than Collin. And Tarrant counties, depending on the city growth also vary quite a bit.

Re: MyCastle - Posted by Maxx(TX)

Posted by Maxx(TX) on August 21, 2003 at 07:49:58:

Yes, My Castle is a great tool and for $100/mth is provides very comprehensive information most Investors will find helpful.
www.mycastle.com

A new product just reached our market and according to reviews, has even more comprehensive data all on one screen. www.homevalueplus.com

P.s: I dont use either of these products as I already do have MLS access and for what I’m doing right now, MLS is plenty good.

Re: Question for Dallas area investors - Posted by Sally Fodern

Posted by Sally Fodern on August 20, 2003 at 09:51:14:

Thanks for the reply, I’ll get in touch with you. The “problem” is that we just recently relocated to the Dallas area, but already have motivated sellers calling us from all over - Flower Mound, Lewisville, The Colony, Richardson, Plano, etc. etc. We are trying to learn the area as quickly as possible …

Tried that… - Posted by Sally Fodern

Posted by Sally Fodern on August 20, 2003 at 09:47:12:

First American Real Estate Solutions has a product called RealQuest, which I have tried. 80% or mroe of the listings do not include even basic information such as number of bedrooms and bathrooms, etc. The square footage isn’t even right half the time. I don’t know why, but that is what I’ve found after using it for a week for Denton and Collin counties. Is there some other product that FARES offers that is better?

Posted by Maxx(TX) on August 20, 2003 at 13:52:21:

Sounds like you’re doing great. COntact me if you can.

Re: Tried that… - Posted by Ronald * Starr(in No CA)

Posted by Ronald * Starr(in No CA) on August 20, 2003 at 10:01:27:

Sally Fodern---------------

Maybe they have changed the name for marketing purposes, but the product I use is called “win2data.”

Here in CA it is excellent.

Perhaps the local assessment districts have online databases? When I bought my property in Waco, I was able to go through the list of properties scheduled for tax sale in McCellan County while right here in Oakland, CA. So, when I got to TX all I had to do was find out which improved properties were still on the sale and then go look at them.

I would not think that FARES would have information that is any more accurate than that in the assessment district rolls. That is where they buy their information from.

Good InvestingRon Starr******

call me stupid, but - Posted by jay

Posted by jay on August 20, 2003 at 16:06:39:

if a “fellow investor” in the same area runs comps
for someone. how do you know they won’t take your
deal?
I’m new so I’m still learning.
I’ve already been warned of the sharks in dallas.

Re: Tried that… - Posted by Sally Fodern

Posted by Sally Fodern on August 20, 2003 at 10:12:37:

I will look into “win2data”, thanks.

The Denton county appraisal district website has very accurate information on properties - including drawings of the floorplan, surveys, and even pictures of the house sometimes. It’s great. Every single property has accurate information in regards to beds/baths and sq footage, etc.

For some reason, the highly touted FARES RealQuest product does not include this basic information, so I don’t know where they get their data from …

Re: call me stupid, but - Posted by Maxx(TX)

Posted by Maxx(TX) on August 20, 2003 at 22:16:42:

This is not stupidity. Maybe you’ve not been meeting the right people. I too wish I have enough time/ money to do all deals. I guess you just need to know whom to do business with. I’m sorry you feel that way about Investors in Dallas.

Re: Tried that… - Posted by Joe(TX)

Posted by Joe(TX) on August 20, 2003 at 12:04:53:

You might also try www.collincad.org and www.dallascad.org . This will give you good info about house size, bedrooms, etc. dallascad even has photos for most of the properties.