Question for Rehabbers...sizzle features - Posted by Chefist

Posted by Brent_IL on September 26, 2003 at 16:05:23:

Question for Rehabbers…sizzle features - Posted by Chefist

Posted by Chefist on September 24, 2003 at 17:59:54:

I have a list of sizzle features I use on my houses…however, I am always wanting to add more to my list…is there anything anyone uses that may be of interest?..here is what has been working for me…

1. White panel doors from Home Depot
  2. Shiny brass hardware
  3. Special tint on interior paint (secret formula)…I’ll share, just ask…white trim
  4. Cieling fans in each room, brass/wood
  5. New front door, burgandy or other glitz color
  6. Brass house numbers, outdoor lighting
  7. All new faucets, not cheapies
  8. White kitchen cabinets, new from HD
  9. Blue/gray carpet
  10. Always new vinyl, tiles look great…
    ect…

Thanks,

Ben

Lower Income Areas - Posted by Ken (NJ)

Posted by Ken (NJ) on September 25, 2003 at 13:42:17:

Just being clean with new carpet and a fresh coat of paint does wonders. A security system is a great sizzle feature in a challenged area.

Sizzle features really depend on the neighborhood.

Ken (NJ)

The BEST upgrade - Posted by Celine Dion

Posted by Celine Dion on September 25, 2003 at 12:30:38:

This was discussed here a year or two ago. We all agreed a heloport is the best upgrade for rehabs. I simply could not live without mine.

Re: Question for Rehabbers…sizzle features - Posted by Ronald * Starr(in No CA)

Posted by Ronald * Starr(in No CA) on September 25, 2003 at 09:49:16:

Chefist-----------------

It may depend upon the age or the style of the place, but here are some.

Crown and picture molding.
Wainscoiting. I have a low-income rental and just one short wall of wainscoiting below and a very cheap wallpaper above looks much better than a bare wall.
Mirrors to enlarge the look of the living, family, or dining room. NOT CEILING MIRRORS IN THE BEDROOM.
Great big brass handle on front door. Not cheap, but impressive.
I’ve not tried it, but perhaps a flagpole in the front? Lots of people are flying the American flag these days.
Carpeted floor in the garage.
A grape arbor in the back.
Coiffiered ceilings.
Cutting out the ceiling joists near the front door of an older house with a ridge roof, allowing you to turn the roof into the top of the room in that area. Gives you the high and valuted ceilings popular in newer homes.
Skylights.
An innercom at the front door.

Good InestingRon Starr*

Re: Question for Rehabbers…sizzle features - Posted by Ryan

Posted by Ryan on September 25, 2003 at 09:16:06:

What’s the special tint on interior paint. Please email me when you get a chance.

Re: Question for Rehabbers…sizzle features - Posted by scottese

Posted by scottese on September 24, 2003 at 20:21:36:

Also forgot to mention…Laminate floors add tons of curb appeal. Get the cheaper stuff, it’s still much better than carpet.

Re: Question for Rehabbers…sizzle features - Posted by scottese

Posted by scottese on September 24, 2003 at 20:19:08:

I use cabinets from lowes. They make them in white raised panel and they are already together, and are a little cheaper…at least at my Lowes. Honestly though, the market is so hot in my area I’ve been using builder grade everything and getting lots of oooohhs and aaahhs. I think things are so picked over that people are selling stuff that isn’t really ready to market (not cleaned up) and when buyers see something not “lived in” they jump on it.

Re: Question for Rehabbers…sizzle features - Posted by michaela-ATL

Posted by michaela-ATL on September 24, 2003 at 20:03:24:

I always put a set of columns somewhere. usually I make a big openeing between living and dining room and set the columns there.

Big ceiling medallions (lowe’s or Home depot) in major rooms.

trim, trim, trim

michaela

Re: Question for Rehabbers…sizzle features - Posted by art c

Posted by art c on September 24, 2003 at 18:07:29:

Vinyl shutters , in a nice color, facing the street , can be attractive .

Re: The BEST upgrade - Posted by Dan

Posted by Dan on September 26, 2003 at 08:27:32:

What is a heloport?

Re: The BEST upgrade - Posted by Terry (Houston)

Posted by Terry (Houston) on September 25, 2003 at 14:19:26:

I remember that. I still have not found a guy to install one for under $100. :slight_smile:

Terry

Front door stolen :wink: - Posted by michaela-ATL

Posted by michaela-ATL on September 25, 2003 at 07:27:42:

With your laminate floors having curb appeal, the buyers must be able to see the inside from the street ;-).

Do you mean vinyl? In my area that would be considered quite inferior. What market are you in?

Michaela

Re: Question for Rehabbers…sizzle features - Posted by firefox

Posted by firefox on September 25, 2003 at 23:28:10:

>I always put a set of columns somewhere

A Louis Brown disciple?

Re: Front door stolen :wink: - Posted by scottese

Posted by scottese on September 25, 2003 at 17:04:18:

Huh? :stuck_out_tongue: I meant laminate ;D…Like Pergo, Wilsonart, etc. It is far better looking than any vinyl I’ve seen. The look of wood is much warmer than any rehab grade carpet too. I also usually go with tile in wet areas over vinyl. Vinyl is really the inferior product…I don’t think that’s market specific either. But, what were you saying laminate is inferior to?

Posted by michaela-ATL on September 26, 2003 at 07:08:01:

I got it from someone else, but I’m pretty sure they got it from LB. I’m definitely not one of LB’s deciples. He’s no longer around our local Ga. REIA anyway.

Michaela

Re: Front door stolen :wink: - Posted by michaela-ATL

Posted by michaela-ATL on September 25, 2003 at 17:25:14:

Ok, I wasn’tsure what you meant with ‘laminate’. Well, I do think it depends on the market. Here in the suburb market people tend to prefer carpet over hardwoods, wheras in the intown market hardwoods are considered superior to carpet or laminate. I personally would prefer laying hardwoods down (even I can do it :wink: over using a laminate. The price of material is not any different, at least here in Atlanta.

As to the front door - if that’s what your ‘huh’ is about: Curb appeal means ‘looking at the house from the curb’ and it having appeal from there.

michaela

Re: Question for Rehabbers…sizzle features - Posted by Brent_IL

Posted by Brent_IL on September 26, 2003 at 11:35:35:

This is the first quasi-negative comment that I’ve seen posted about Lousis Brown. What do we need to know?

Re: Front door stolen :wink: - Posted by scottese

Posted by scottese on September 26, 2003 at 17:16:20:

Yeah I guess it is market specific. I only pay .90 a square for laminate. That’s ALOT cheaper than hardwoods…even utility grade oak. I use them because the speed of install, price of houses I rehab and also alot of them are on slabs…ever lay hardwood on a slab? :smiley: Wow, those nails are hard to get in!

I was kinda confused about your whole post. I guess I left my sense of humor off. I consider “curb appeal” to mean how aesthetically pleasing the entire house is…But, I think your definition is correct…I just wasn’t thinking that way and that’s why your little joke went right over my head. Although I am smiling now!

Posted by michaela-ATL on September 26, 2003 at 11:55:30:

Nothing I would discuss on a national discussion board. Let’s just say a lot of people have done one deal with him and never again.

michaela