Question for the Realtors!! - Posted by Jason

Posted by Ed Copp (OH) on March 31, 2000 at 15:19:51:

Jason, I do not know what state that you are in, but I cannot immagine why it would not be legal to work an a real estate office while studying for your license. This should be a great learning experience for you (might be profitable too if you keep your eyes open). Best of luck to you (sounds like you make your own)…ED

Question for the Realtors!! - Posted by Jason

Posted by Jason on March 31, 2000 at 14:41:39:

Hey Everybody. Is it legal to work in a real estate office, as an assistant to a realtor if I do not yet have a license? I have been offered a position in an office, and thought it would good experience. While I am working I will be taking pre-licensing courses in order to get my real estate license. Would appreciate any feedback, positive or negative. Thanks

Jason

Re: Question for the Realtors!! - Posted by Charles

Posted by Charles on March 31, 2000 at 23:11:27:

In Florida it is legal to work as assistant to a licensed real estate agent without being licensed. However what you are allowed to do is very definite and very limited. For instance you can answer the phone and make showing appointments but no cold calling. You can read info about a house from an ad but no more than that.

You should get a list of what you may and may not do for the state you are in. No sense in getting into trouble before you even get started.

Good luck.

Re: Question for the Realtors!! - Posted by Corey (ND)

Posted by Corey (ND) on March 31, 2000 at 15:56:47:

First off each state is different. BUT in a majority of the areas it is legal for you to work in an office as long as you are not performing tasks that a Realtor has to do. Such as listing property, selling property, etc… Most real estate assistants are orgainzers and paper schufflers. I think it would be a great way to learn the business. Make it clear to the Realtor that you are going to work for that you would like to learn the business, not just be an employee. Then you could also deciede if you wanted to actually get your license. There are pros and cons to having your license.

Best of luck