Quick Books Pro Software - Posted by Andrew Smith (Phila)

Posted by John Butler(Stl) on March 07, 2000 at 09:18:35:

Since I am a die-hard Jeffrey Taylor fan, that was the first software I tried. I was not impressed with it unfortunately. The reports were not as good, and it crashed often on me. Your experience my vary though.

John

Quick Books Pro Software - Posted by Andrew Smith (Phila)

Posted by Andrew Smith (Phila) on March 06, 2000 at 20:57:08:

I was wondering if anyone uses Quick Books Pro software for record keeping for your properties. I have heard great things about it in general but I would like to hear from some real estate people as I would be using it to keep up on 60+ units in several different locations.
Thanks for your comments.

Re: Why Pro?? - Posted by Sheik

Posted by Sheik on March 07, 2000 at 12:09:54:

Depending on your needs, you might not even need the ‘Pro’ version. Follow this link for a comparison between Quickbooks2000 and QuickbooksPro2000.

For my needs, the non-Pro version is just fine.

Sheik

Re: Quick Books Pro Software - Posted by Elisabeth

Posted by Elisabeth on March 07, 2000 at 10:27:27:

Hey, I’m the office manager for a real-estate investor and we use Quick Books 2000 Pro as an accounting program. We don’t do too many rental units (it’s mostly fix-up and sell), so I couldn’t tell you about that. But the letter writing functions that tie in with Word and Excel are great. Can’t believe they didn’t think of that before!

Overall, it’s easy for non-accountants to understand and not hard to learn. I’d recommend it.

Re: Quick Books Pro Software - Posted by Bud Branstetter

Posted by Bud Branstetter on March 07, 2000 at 09:49:07:

Andrew,

While I use QBP for my acconting system I don’t run that quanity of rentals. After talking with Yeider and an enrolled agent that uses his template You and I don’t need his template. It is designed for doing more like four purchase or sales a month. Many things are lumped together as you work your inventory of properties. I would suggest you look at ACT as a way to keep your tenant contacts in order. It will do individual or blanket letters. Preschedule contacts(phone or mail). It will even bring up an excel or other .exe program when you preset a field for that program.

What about Mr. Landlord’s - Posted by CarolFL

Posted by CarolFL on March 07, 2000 at 05:45:36:

software for managing rentals. Anyone have any experience with it?

Re: Quick Books Pro Software - Posted by John Butler(Stl)

Posted by John Butler(Stl) on March 06, 2000 at 23:23:04:

I went through this process back in January and tried everything I could find for managing rental units. I ended up going with a package called Stemmon’s Multi-Family(www.stemmons.com). It is very scalable up to many units and the reports it creates are great and informative. It is specifically geared towards multi-unit properties(which I know you have), so be sure to evaluate it. The price is also reasonable until you get over 100 units.

Hope this helps,

John

Re: Quick Books Pro Software - Posted by Glenn - OH

Posted by Glenn - OH on March 06, 2000 at 21:54:02:

I am also considering Quick Books Pro. I also am looking at an add-on for QuickBooks by Yeiter & Co. which can be found at www.istfp.com/stores/yeiter/Item2.asp?ID=2993&CatID=198&Type=291 (all on one line). Has anyone used these?
Glenn

Re: Quick Books Pro Software - Posted by d.henderson

Posted by d.henderson on March 06, 2000 at 21:05:35:

I use it for real estate and a construction company. Quick Books Pro can do much more than I know how. The most important thing is to set up your categories correctly. It’s a very good program.
Dee-Texas

Re: Why Pro?? - Posted by Glen-NY

Posted by Glen-NY on March 07, 2000 at 17:55:44:

Quickbooks pro includes time-based billing, if you bill on an hourly rate as I did in my past life as an engineer it is quite useful. (Unfortuately I could never bill enough hours… but that is another newsgroup).

I have used QB for several different organizations and businesses and find it to be very powerful and capable, but sometimes it is difficult to get the reports to show exactly what you want, mostly because it wants you to enter your receipts and expenses like the accountants do. My general review is good, however, and I know several business owners who use to automate their payroll also, even though they use accountants for taxes, etc.

Quicken is also good, and Quicken 2000 has better support for mortgages than Quickbooks 99, I have not upgraded to the quickbooks 2000 yet. I don’t play that yearly upgrade game…

In a nutshell, both can provide what you need, but quickbooks is more business accounting oriented.

Enjoy! Glen