R.E Agents - Posted by Peter Wells

Posted by David M. Petrovich on May 09, 1999 at 08:40:06:

Taken out of context, that ‘quote’ may state that the Agent must present the offer to his employer, The Broker. The Agent does not work for the Seller. The Broker does. The Broker (who has entered into and owns the listing agreement) may have explicit instructions… blah, blah, blah.

R.E Agents - Posted by Peter Wells

Posted by Peter Wells on May 07, 1999 at 10:22:30:

Has anyone had the problem of R.E. agents refusing to submit
contract offers and letting you know what is going on? If so, what can be done about it?

Thanks in advance.

Become an agent - Posted by Sean

Posted by Sean on May 07, 1999 at 12:35:16:

Yeah, that blows. They are legally required to present all offers, but they often don’t. In most cases the seller never finds out, never complains and nothing happens.

The easiest solution is to become a Realtor or agent yourself.

Re: R.E Agents - Posted by William

Posted by William on May 07, 1999 at 12:10:19:

I too had that same problem before. I just searched and searched until I found a decent agent. Even if what David says is true the agent should’ve let you know or it should’ve shown in the listing. Remember they’re all in it for the commission. So just keep searching. Good Luck.

Re: R.E Agents Refusal - Posted by David M. Petrovich

Posted by David M. Petrovich on May 07, 1999 at 10:33:32:

Agents work for Broker, Broker works for Seller who may have placed specific instructions with the Broker on a range of offers that would be accepted for consideration. Brokers or their Agents are not required to present offers to Sellers if specifically instructed otherwise.

Specific Instructions may include language like, 'Don’t waste my time with anything less than …"

Re: Become an agent - Posted by Rob FL

Posted by Rob FL on May 07, 1999 at 16:09:05:

I agree. I became an agent for that very reason.

In regards to all offers in Florida at least, the agent has to submit all offers unless the seller specifically sets criteria for offers not to submit. Like nothing below 100,000 or no deals with seller financing.

Re: listing agreement - Posted by David M. Petrovich

Posted by David M. Petrovich on May 07, 1999 at 13:55:33:

The ‘listing agreement’ is the service contract between Broker and Seller. 1) The Agent may never see the listing agreement, 2) The information broadcast on
multiple listing services may not include specific details on commission to be paid, or ‘presentation’ restrictions.

If the public information includes language ‘all negotiations thru listing broker’ then that may well suggest that the Seller has set restrictions and doesn’t want to be inconvenienced by presentations that he knows in advance will not be considered.

Re: R.E Agents Refusal - Posted by Peter Wells

Posted by Peter Wells on May 07, 1999 at 10:56:48:

I was reading some legal code that was shown to be by some brokers in the state of Viginia and it states that
“it is reguired that agents present ALL contracts”.