R2-1 - Posted by Valeri Corley

Posted by Brent_IL on August 24, 2003 at 19:53:19:

R2-1 - Posted by Valeri Corley

Posted by Valeri Corley on August 24, 2003 at 08:57:58:

I have found an R2-1 property with a SFD sitting on it. I want to purchase the property and tear down the home and ideally build a 4 unit condo complex. Is this allowed under R2-1 Zoning regulations? If a 4 plex is not possible, can an R2-1 be subdivided and a SFD built on each lot?

Re: R2-1 - Posted by Ronald * Starr(in No CA)

Posted by Ronald * Starr(in No CA) on August 24, 2003 at 11:35:24:

Valeri Corley---------

Probably not a single person who reads this forum can answer you question. Zoning laws are LOCAL, not national. The terminology R2-1 is local also. It may be used nowhere else in the world but where you are. And you don’t tell us where you are.

The proper place to ask your questions is at the local city or county building department or zoning department.

Have you checked on the demand for small condo properties where you are? If not, what makes you think that you will be able to sell them for a profit?

Now, I would recommend against doing building unless you have experience doing so. In my view it is a lot of work for modest profit. You can probably make more profit more easily working with existing properties.

Good InvestingRon Starr*********

Re: R2-1 - Posted by Ms. Kensington

Posted by Ms. Kensington on August 24, 2003 at 18:35:17:

Hey Ron, What’s with the attitude? Valeri, do not be discouraged by people like Ron. I assume you are building in Southern CA - LA area as I am familiar with the R2-1 Zone Code. Depending on how much buildable space you have on the lot and the height restrictions, (which you can obtain from the local city or county building dept.) you should be able to build at least two units. Give the local office a call and go for it. Southern CA is full of buildable opp’s. Do your homework and you’ll make some good money on projects!

Re: R2-1 - Posted by Tom-FL

Posted by Tom-FL on August 24, 2003 at 22:04:43:

So, Ms Kensington, you “assume” she’s talking about SoCal simply because she used the term “R2-1”? You know what it means when you “assume”, don’t you? R means residential, and then it is commonly followed by numbers. Sure, could be CA … or IN … or FL … or maybe Italy. Unless you plan on asserting that CA has some kind of copyright on the term “R2-1”. Then they could recall the term to stop all those other cities from using it.