Rats! (under my garage) - Posted by Ron (MD)

Posted by phil fernandez on February 14, 2001 at 18:43:19:

Hi Paul,

How’s it going.

Rats, bats, squarrels, pigeons or whatever you have, I’d still call the exterminator. He can take care of the problem.

A footnote on bats. Bats are actually very beneficial to the environment. They eat a ton of insects each night so don’t destroy them. Just get them out of the house.

Rats! (under my garage) - Posted by Ron (MD)

Posted by Ron (MD) on February 14, 2001 at 17:51:50:

I just bought a house that has several rat holes near the garage. The neighbor (who also has a few holes in his yard) says the rats are “as big as cats”.

Do I just drop rat poison down the holes? Can someone give me specific directions for getting rid of these things?

Thx.

Ron Guy

Big stinking rats…need big nasty cats - Posted by BillW

Posted by BillW on February 15, 2001 at 18:50:24:

Ron, be careful with the poison, if the rats die out in the open, neighbors dogs and cats may get them and also be killed. Perhaps you could adopt a big nasty cat and let it do what it does best. There are plenty at the local animal shelter. Save a cat, get rid of rats.
BillW.

Pit bull for rent - Posted by Fred

Posted by Fred on February 14, 2001 at 23:11:58:

Hi Ron,
The house I bought recently had a pit bull in it. I’ll send it over to eat your rats. LOL

Ratman To The Rescue - Posted by phil fernandez

Posted by phil fernandez on February 14, 2001 at 18:16:46:

Ron,

Boy does your post bring back memories of last summer. I have a rental house where the city was digging up and re doing a street. The rats were being stirred up by all the noise and commotion and of course they were looking for a nice dark cozy basement to take up residence. So they choose my basement plus the basements of about three other houses in the neighborhood.

My tenant was going crazy. It probably didn’t help that they were leaving their garbage for a week in the summer heat in the one car garage. But of course I got blamed.

Don’t try any home remedies like decon etc. Call an exterminater. He will put special bait out and tracking powder. In about a week you will start seeing dead rats. Your’s are as big as cats, mine were bigger than buffalo, ( just kidding ). It will take about a total of ten days to two weeks to get rid of them all. And the cost was only $150.

The exterminator told me that it was a random thing. However I would check around the foundation and plug up all holes that may lead into the house.

I think there are bats in the wall - Posted by Paul_MA

Posted by Paul_MA on February 14, 2001 at 18:27:06:

I heard a flapping in the wall and I don’t think they’re pigeons (but I would rather the pigeons). Have you dealt with the bat problem? Any remedies would be a great help.

I figured I wait till summer to get professional help.

Thanks in advance.