Ready to Sale - Posted by Todd

Posted by Bill K. (AZ) on May 04, 1999 at 18:16:25:

Jim,

Your advice is timely, not only for Todd, but for me as well. I’ll have a home for sale within the next 10-12 days myself.

I’ve heard of your ideas before, but didn’t remember them until I read your post. This site is great for keeping ideas in front of people. We all need to be reminded of things we’ve seen or heard before. Eventually, they will sink in.

Thanks for responding. You made my day.

Bill K. (AZ)

Ready to Sale - Posted by Todd

Posted by Todd on May 04, 1999 at 09:23:53:

Just completed a remodel and have listed the property FSBO. I want to move this property as quickly a possible. Any other ideas of how to advertise besides the conventional classified route? Any creative ways to tie an agent to the property for minimal fee?

Here’s Some More Ideas - Posted by Jim Kennedy

Posted by Jim Kennedy on May 04, 1999 at 17:44:49:

Good ideas submitted by Redline and Santina.

Here are a few more marketing ideas to add:

1. Mail a postcard or deliver a flier to the homes within a 2-3 block radius of your subject property with a ?Choose Your Neighbor? message.

2. Hold an ?Open House?. If you want to cash out rather than use some form of owner finance, invite your favorite mortgage broker to accompany you and prescreen your prospects on the spot. Be sure you have a guest book to capture the name, address and phone number of every prospect that stops by so you can follow up later. If your subject property wasn?t the right house for them, you can find out what they are looking for and what they qualify for. Maintain a ?buyers list? for future deals. Serve coffee and fresh baked cookies. Use the ready to bake cookie dough from the refrigerated section of the supermarket. Not only are they easy but also the smell of fresh baked cookies will permeate the house and make it feel more ?homey?. Offer punch for the kids. Have some soft music playing in the background. If there is a fireplace, light a fire ? even in the summer. Turn ALL the lights on ? even in the daytime.

3. Post ?Home For Sale? fliers on as many bulletin boards as you can, i.e. supermarkets, churches, community centers, employee lounges at large companies, faculty lounges at local schools & universities, housing offices at nearby military installations, etc.

4. It should go without saying that you have a yard sign. I attach a ?Take One? tube to my FSBO yard signs, just like the REALTORS use. Make sure the tube is never empty. I bribe a neighbor to keep an eye on it for me and replenish as needed.

Hope these ideas help.

Best of Success!!

Jim Kennedy,
Houston, TX

Re: Ready to Sale - Posted by santina

Posted by santina on May 04, 1999 at 12:26:33:

You could try making your own just-on-the-market postcards (with price) and marketing blurb and delivering them to your target audience - is this a first-time buyer home or a mover-upper? If it is a first-time buyer home it might also suit the recently divorced. You could deliver the postcards to the more expensive apartment blocks within the vicinity of the house - obviously these people like the neighborhood.Santina

Re: Ready to Sale - Posted by Redline

Posted by Redline on May 04, 1999 at 12:01:03:

If you don’t need to cash out, advertise the property with owner finance, little down. This is a good way to move the propery quick and make $$ every month, and get paid in the end. You could do this with a contract for deed or a L/O.

As for realtors, you can tell them if they have someone they can bring them over and you’ll pay them. Ex: Let’s say the “standard” commission on a listing over there is 5-6%. Tell the realtor who brings the buyer you’ll pay his/her office 2.5% for a buyer. (Which would be their standard split arrangement anyway). Works for them. Works for you.

RL