Realtors and the outside of the MH's. - Posted by Emre (ID)

Posted by Emre (ID) on February 27, 2002 at 20:48:33:

OK, I’m going to skip out on the one I looked at last night. I drove around tonight and looked at one of the one’s my G/F’s mom gave me, just exterior right now.

This one is a 2b/1b, don’t know the size of the home. There is a 8x10 shed outside. The original listing price in September was $14,900. They have so far lowered the price to $12,900. The listing says the home is vacant.

A little research in the phonebook shows me that the seller has moved already. I have his/her phone number and address, from the phone book.

Should I call the sellers directly or should I talk with the listing realtor to see how motivated these people are?

I’m asking about calling the owner directly as I saw someone say that they call the owner’s directly to find out when the listing agreement is over.

Comments and suggestions are appreciated!

Thanks
Emre (ID)

Realtors and the outside of the MH’s. - Posted by Emre (ID)

Posted by Emre (ID) on February 26, 2002 at 20:34:06:

First off, does anyone work with Realtors? My G/F’s mom is a realtor and I asked her to pull some listings for me. The one I drove by looked “dirty.” It kind of pushed me away from it, not to mention the lot rent is $325. I told her what I wanted to do and all. She didn’t sound convinced, but she said she would be willing to put in offers much lower than the asking price.

I also felt uneasy driving around the park. I felt out of my element. Then I drove around in another park and didn’t feel any different. Is it just first time jitters or am I being too stuck up?

I’m thinking about calling my G/F’s mom to setup an appointment, with the seller of course, and for me to start asking the questions.

I’ve finished DOW and am reading MMMH’s.

Emre (ID)

Re: Realtors and the outside of the MH’s. - Posted by Carey_PA

Posted by Carey_PA on March 01, 2002 at 09:15:38:

I have never dealt w/ a realtor on mh’s…only sfh’s.

Realtors usually have the mh listed for too much! Just drive parks and talk to the people living there and the park managers, to find deals…also hand out biz cards and put an ad in the paper.

Oh and loose the “you’re better than them attitude,” because trust me, it won’t get you any deals!

Who ever you are trying to buy a home from you need to deal with them and relate to them on THEIR level…whether it’s someone with 3 kids that makes $15k a year and lives in a mh or someone that makes $100k a year and lives in a $300k sfh!

Be a people person and a problem solver!

CAREY

Re: Realtors and the outside of the MH’s. - Posted by lyal

Posted by lyal on February 28, 2002 at 08:06:48:

Emre,
Sorry but I think you are headed down the wrong path. Just the fact that you are dealing with a realtor (no matter how convienient that is) and are looking at listed homes scares me. You are looking for motivated sellers that you can talk to directly to determine their level of motivation and negotiate price with. You can only do this by getting out in the trenches and getting to know your area (talking to some of the park residents should also cure your uneasiness about being in the park. There “just folks” like us…really).
Read the books again. Then get out there and talk to some people. Drop in on the park manager and chat to get a feel for dealing with them. Drive right by anything with a realtor’s sign. That is NOT what you are looking for. Look for a small hand lettered “For Sale” sign that looks like it’s been there for a while. That just may be a motivated seller.
Let the subject drop with your G/F’s mom. She won’t understand at all what you are trying to do and will tell you all the reasons it won’t work. (It DOES work by the way.)
All the best, Lyal

Re: Realtors and the outside of the MH’s. - Posted by Steve W (WA)

Posted by Steve W (WA) on February 27, 2002 at 07:59:06:

Key points:
(a) You are looking AT homes, where people live, for someplace for other people to live. Look at the silver lining, not the cloud. Pay more attention to the part in DOW (left it home this morning - &%$#%*!) that talks about this.

(b) Listing with a realtor? Probably not a motivated seller. You are looking FOR motivated sellers, not MHs.

Read the book again - especially the early chapters on finding a place ($@!~%#$^**%#! keepthebookwithme keepthebookwithme keepthebookwithme!)

Um, how about LOSE instead of loose :slight_smile: nt - Posted by Carey_PA

Posted by Carey_PA on March 01, 2002 at 09:16:23: