Rehab, Refinancing, What would you do? - Posted by David

Posted by Erin (detroit) on August 26, 2003 at 15:19:58:

That is what I have done on the last 2 houses. I rehab them and do a cash-out refi on them. Most are doing 70% of appraised value. You can go as high as 80-90%, but there are cost considerations as well as required scoring to achieve the higher cash-outs. So far it is working good, but my mortgage broker stated that after 10 cash-out refis’, I can only pull out the cost of the house + fix-up instead of making a profit on the refi, as I am doing now. Good luck in either direction you take.

Erin

Rehab, Refinancing, What would you do? - Posted by David

Posted by David on August 25, 2003 at 22:58:30:

History,

I have invested, after researching on this web site and others, in a low cost area that has a high yield, but major rehabing. I do know how to do home improvements particularly electrical. I rehabed my house after a fire and cased out 60k to start my investing. After starting my investement will be 150% - 200% of the total cost which I will have all payed off.

The question where to go from here?

If I take out 1st morg then lease how long does it take for the vendee’s to money to count as my earned income that offsets this mortgage.

I can sell and eat capital gains…?

I can 1031 it not always easy to find even with a-b-c delayed. c may not have more than one property to offset cost in a good enough nieghborhood.

What is the best way to parallel this opportunity so that I can reproduce the buisness plan the quickest. My credit score is about 620. Rehab takes 6 weeks. I have 4 guys working for me and feel I am going in a good direction, but would like some expertise. Please state expertise briefly in reply or were the info originated.

Thanks Rich Dad,

David

Re: Rehab, Refinancing, What would you do? - Posted by Ronald * Starr(in No CA)

Posted by Ronald * Starr(in No CA) on August 26, 2003 at 04:35:36:

David-------------

Partly I don’t understand what you are saying. And partly you don’t understand the tax laws related to rehabs.

I don’t understand what you are trying to say when you say: “After starting my investement will be 150% - 200% of the total cost which I will have all payed off.” Also, “…how long does it take for the vendee’s to money to count as my earned income that offsets this mortgage.”

Now you have to distinguish between real estate investing and making money with real estate. There are no tax breaks for quick resell profit-making with real estate–which I call “real estate merchandising” to distinguish it from “investing,” which is defined by the tax code.

“I can sell and eat capital gains…?” No. You would pay ordinary income tax on the profit. You only will pay capital gains tax if you hold the property long term as an investment. How long? There is nothing in the tax code to tell. Some tax adviser suggest over one year, some suggest over two years, some suggest that the purchase and sale be in two different tax years. It is a matter of the conservativeness/aggressiveness of the adviser. I’m pretty sure that if you hold for at least five years you will not be challenged by the IRS as being short-term.

“I can 1031 … .” No again. Same thing as capital gains. The 1031 exchange is reserved for real estate investing, not for quick turnover profit making.

Similarly, you cannot elect to do “installment sale” tax treatment of income for the sale of a rehab property. That is also only for real estate investing. That means that you would have to pay ordinary income taxes on the full gain in the tax year of the sale of the property, even if you get only a portion of the sale price each year because you carried back a loan to help the sale.

I do not do very many rehabs and then resell quickly. Mostly I hold for the long term. So it is hard for me to tell you what to do.

I’d suggest you have two choices: hold for long term rental or else resell as soon as you can, take the ordinary income hit and then invest in other properties. This is why so many rehabbers want at least $15k or $20K profit on shortterm hold properties. They have to pay the taxes and really only get what is left over after that.

Another possibility is to have the sellers provide longer-term financing for you. Maybe for 5-7 years. Then, when the property is in good condition, you hold it as a rental and get a second loan secured the property. Or even a first loan, paying off the seller-carry. In which case it is always well to ask for a discount off the face amount.

I think that there are lenders who will provide a loan without “seasoning” provided you document the increased value due to the rehab. With “before” and “after” pictures, receipts for major material purchases, the payroll for the workers, etc.

Good investingRon Starr**********

1 more question Rich Dad - Posted by David

Posted by David on August 26, 2003 at 13:50:55:

This was vary informative!

I own the property free and clear and want to continue investing.
After reading and seeing my options I will be going with the long term rental and applying a first mortgage to get cash for reinvesting.

Do you see a problem with that?

What percent is good to finance say 80% considering my credit score about 620?

Thanks Ron(you got to be the rich dad lol),
David

Re: 1 more question Rich Dad - Posted by Ronald * Starr (in No CA)

Posted by Ronald * Starr (in No CA) on August 26, 2003 at 22:05:10:

David----------------

Your approach should work fine.

How much you pull out depends upon two items: how much the lender will allow you to pull out and how much negative cash flow you might have with a high-amount loan. You will have to decide how much cash flow you want the property to have.

Good InvestingRon Starr