Section 8 - Posted by Mark (SDCA)

Posted by Christopher - WA on October 24, 2003 at 24:13:47:

That is so cool! I’ve always wanted to put glass block windows in my bathrooms but was afraid to eliminate egress. (For some reason, I’m afraid of the house catching fire while I’m in the shower.) Can you provide any more information about these frames? Such as the manufacturers? Would the glass-block windows installers know about them? I’ve been to a few showrooms and never seen any mention of them. How do they secure? With latches? If I weren’t so exhausted I’d be jumping up and down! Thank you for posting and thanks in advance for any additional information!

Section 8 - Posted by Mark (SDCA)

Posted by Mark (SDCA) on October 22, 2003 at 13:53:23:

I see many messages on here asking about whether landlords should participate in the Section 8 program.

Here is the definitive reason NOT to participate:

Housing inspectors can write ANYTHING in the inspection report and need provide NO justification whatsoever for the problems they “claim” exist with the property. Further, the Federal Government’s administrative appeals process does NOT apply.

Mark

Re: Section 8 - Posted by DavidV

Posted by DavidV on October 22, 2003 at 22:52:33:

I decided to try a couple this year and have had no problems at all. I went out of my way to be nice to the inspectors and they have been good to work with.

It may depend on the personality of each inspector, as it unfortunately does with a few code inspectors around here.

Re: Section 8 - Posted by Richard

Posted by Richard on October 22, 2003 at 19:55:16:

More negatives than positives here.

Re: Section 8 - Posted by Dimpil

Posted by Dimpil on October 22, 2003 at 17:27:48:

Wow, yep count me out! That is sure reason enough not to participate in section 8. The inspectors are have no scruples and you can not get a fair shake nor appeal the decision. They are all out to fail you and prevent a person from having a safe affordable home to stay in.

Re: Section 8 -Write Ups? - Posted by Linda Simms

Posted by Linda Simms on October 22, 2003 at 15:56:52:

I agree. I gave up on them when they wrote one up for an ant hill in the back yard.

Re: Section 8 - Posted by Ron (MD)

Posted by Ron (MD) on October 22, 2003 at 14:09:34:

Mark,

I have a house where the third bedroom is in the basement. During the rehab, I put a glass block window in the basement bedroom, for better security.

The Section 8 inspector said it was unacceptable…it needed to open and be large enough for an average sized man to climb out of (even though there were two other exits from the basement bedroom…up the stairs to the main part of the house, or out the rear door to the rear part of the basement and the rear exit door). I paid $700 to pull out a brand new glass block window, enlarge the opening (inside and out) and install a larger, casement window.

Later, I talked about it with the inspector’s supervisor, who told me that the glass block window was absolutely acceptable. There must be two exits and any windows that were constructed to open must be able to open. Glass block windows are fine.

Since that episode, I have refused to allow that inspector back into any of my houses, which the supervisor is agreeable to.

Ron Guy

Re: Section 8 -Write Ups? - Posted by Gary

Posted by Gary on October 22, 2003 at 16:35:28:

Good grief! At least you have a really good story–were they the kind of ants that eat cattle?! I must say that my experience with Section 8 inspectors has been consistently positive. They pointed out problems that really did need correction, and that I hadn’t noticed. They also pointed me in the direction of competent but relatively inexpensive service people. I wouldn’t want the negative view to prevail on this thread! Gary

Re: Section 8 - Posted by roger

Posted by roger on October 23, 2003 at 01:01:57:

ron i’ grewup in baltimore the glass block would have passed if the window opened ,think about putting your next one in a pull out frame it works great did it in the city to a couple of houses back in the 60’s

Re: Section 8 -Write Ups? - Posted by Mark (SDCA)

Posted by Mark (SDCA) on October 23, 2003 at 11:54:37:

Let me take this one step further. The HQS standards are so vague that the inspector can fail the property for no reason whatsoever. Here are a couple of examples:

“Interior Air Quality. The unit must be free from abnormally high levels of … or dust or other harmful pollutants.”

“General Health And Safety. To ensure that the interior of the unit is free from any other hazards, not specified or identified elsewhere.”

And the inspector is the person who defines hazard, pollutant, abnormally high levels and so on.

Mark