Section 8? - Posted by Steve

Posted by joe on May 12, 1999 at 23:22:29:

Steve like I said there were probably circumstances I was unaware of. I have seen sec. 8 in action and sometimes people abuse it. I will say this however I have no problem helping people who need to get back on their feet or who are having a tough go of it hell that’s what this site is all about. So certainly your sister qualifies and it is people like your sister who work and struggle that remind me why paying taxes is sometimes not that bad. I am wondering if either of you have tried to put any of these methods on this site into action. It seems to me that even a little extra money will help you don’t have to go out and become Ron Legrand or Carleton Sheets but give it a shot on some safe deals like a quick flip or something I would avoid l/o’s if you can’t swing 2 payments though. I hope things brighten up and good luck in all your endeavors.

Section 8? - Posted by Steve

Posted by Steve on May 07, 1999 at 13:10:25:

Hello all, here’s my question. My dad is currently charging
my sister rent about 25% of what he can get with a real tenant. Since my sisters income is very low. What are
the steps required to get my dad’s appartment as a section
8 status. The building is a two family house in a middle class area in NJ. He lives in on one floor and my sister is
on the other.

This way my dad can get a little more rent to help him pay the $5000 a year in taxes.

Thanks

Steve

Does your sister work? - Posted by Joeb

Posted by Joeb on May 11, 1999 at 02:11:16:

Not to be rude because there may be circumstances that I am not aware of and there probably are, but if there are not why doesn’t your sister get a job and pay your dad more or why doesn’t she move somewhere cheaper and let your dad rent to someone who can pay full price. Like I said this may be a special situation but… section 8 is part of what causes are taxes to be so high in the first place so wouldn’t our sister actually be participating in the expense of your fathers taxes? Just a good old fashion Republican theory for you.

Re: Section 8? - Posted by Jaime R

Posted by Jaime R on May 07, 1999 at 14:31:48:

Steve: We deal with Section 8 throughout NJ and, I’m sorry to say, most cities, towns and counties have large waiting lists for people waiting to get on Section 8.

There are some avenues you can try out though:

Call city housing office or Section 8 office and ask if they have any certificates available or if the waiting list is open; call the county housing dept, or section 8 office and ask the same questions; call the Dept of Community Affairs in Trenton (I’m not sure what dept, just tell them you are interested in rental assistance). Get your sister on all the waiting lists if you can. Don’t forget to ask each contact if they are aware of any rental assistance programs with available certificates. You may not want to mention that it’s your father’s apt at the outset.

Also, call your local welfare office, they have rental assistance programs that are short term that your sister may qualify for.

Hope this helps. BTW, like the other response suggested, you can call the HUD office in Newark and tell them you have someone in need of rental assistance. I don’t think there are any subsidies available, but they may be able to give you a lead.

Re: Section 8? - Posted by jim barker

Posted by jim barker on May 07, 1999 at 13:34:57:

Your sister has to be approved for sec 8 first. Call local HUD and ask for details. Then she tells them where she wants to live and they come out to inspect the property. They look for same things most people would want to be OK like no holes in floor or walls, water doesn’t leak in bath or kitchen, screens on windows, glass in windows, etc. How much they pay is determined by sisters financials. That’s the way it works in Mississippi anyway.

Re: Does your sister work? - Posted by Steve

Posted by Steve on May 11, 1999 at 09:56:47:

Yes, she has two low paying jobs(works to 9:30Pm). Three kids and no
more husband. As far as the request for section 8
increasing taxes, I don’t feel this really matters.
These types of programs will never go away. This is
how the government can justify all the people that work
for them. You know as well as I do if people did not
use these programs the government would find other ways
to spend so freely.

Steve