Settlement company did not actually buy - Posted by JoeMD

Posted by JoeMD on September 02, 2003 at 12:33:09:

Thanks, Ed. I may want to try to do the same.

Settlement company did not actually buy - Posted by JoeMD

Posted by JoeMD on August 27, 2003 at 10:40:19:

I appreciate anyone’s help on this.

I bought a house as my primary residence. Two years later, we found out that the settlement company who prepared all our documents did not actually buy the home owner’s title insurance for us as he claimed he did and we paid because we called the title insurance company and they checked the policy number is bogus. Later we found that the State is investigating the company because other home owners found the same thing. My question is that in addition to reporting to the State, is there anything else we should do?

Re: Settlement company did not actually buy - Posted by Nate(DC)

Posted by Nate(DC) on August 27, 2003 at 18:51:20:

Yes, post the name of the settlement company right here on this board so I can avoid them!

NT

Re: Settlement company did not actually buy - Posted by JoeMD

Posted by JoeMD on August 28, 2003 at 10:25:04:

Nate, since you are from DC, you may have already heard from the news. It’s Realty Title or Nations Realty Title in Rockville. I believe they use both names.

Re: Settlement company did not actually buy - Posted by Nate(DC)

Posted by Nate(DC) on August 29, 2003 at 12:20:17:

Thanks. Never used or heard of them, and now I never will!

NT

Re: Settlement company did not actually buy - Posted by Long Beach Ed

Posted by Long Beach Ed on August 31, 2003 at 11:10:28:

I had the same problem with a Long Island abstract company. They provided documents that made it appear an American Title Policy was in place when it was not.

After dicking around with American Title for a year, they finally made good and provided a policy. My arguement was that the abstract company was their agent, therefore they have a responsibility to me.

They agreed. But it wasn’t easy.

Ed