Sheets Mentor program,is it worth $2500? - Posted by Adrienne

Posted by Suz on April 05, 2002 at 09:51:10:

I cannot agree more about the SCORE guys. They are tough old birds and are not always gentle but they have been invaluable to me with other businesses. Like everything, you get out of it what you put in. I tell everyone I know even thinking about a business to start there. I have also had good luck with lunchtime mentoring. People are flattered and happy when you ask their advice.

Sheets Mentor program,is it worth $2500? - Posted by Adrienne

Posted by Adrienne on April 04, 2002 at 14:04:05:

I bought Carlton Sheet’s homestudy course. Am considering the CS Mentor program (6-7 months for $2500).
Is it worth it?
They offer no references from past students.
I was a realtor 10 years but need to learn the current market.
Do you have any feedback regarding the CS mentor program?
Thanks in advance!
-Adrienne

I wouldnt do it - Posted by tang-0-rang

Posted by tang-0-rang on April 05, 2002 at 12:11:59:

You need to understand that the CS mentoring program is nothing more than a few people sitting in a cubicle reading answers/scripts right off their computer screen. They claim to know how to do it ALL (in theory)They gave me a call on time and asked me to do it, I started asking questions such as, how many deals have you done…no I think my exact question was…“how many properties have you YOURSELF purchased” to which the reply was “one” later in the conversation found out he meant the house he bought for himself-conventionally…go figure. Use the money and buy some courses, or if you really think you need some mentorship go with Bronchick($4,000) or Kaiser($2500)it sounds like they do the training one on one(telephone) and both seem to be out there pounding the pavement and putting their money where their mouth is.
JMO
Todd Williamson (CO)

Re: Sheets Mentor program,is it worth $2500? - Posted by Bronchick

Posted by Bronchick on April 04, 2002 at 17:02:30:

Let me comment generally on mentoring, without saying anything good or bad about Sheets’ program.

I run a real estate group in Denver, and have done so since 1993. One of my primary motivations in starting the group (and continuing to run it as a loss) is that it would bring me real estate deals. It has . . . and then some.

I started offering a free mentoring program about 6 years ago. My thought was that if I trained a bunch of people to find deals, they would bring them to me. Reality was, most did nothing with their education, and the rest exluded me from the deals. So . . . I started charging for my time. $500, $1000, now I charge almost $4000.

What I have discovered is that the people who pay $4000 do more deals. They get their money’s worth. They are grateful for my expertise and availability to help them with deals.

On the other hand, I turn down as many people for my mentoring program as I accept. If I get the feeling that someone is not ready to do business or is looking for more education as a crutch, I will not take their money. On the other hand, if I get get someone who is looking to leverage their time by using my experience, I am glad to work with them. Oddly enough, some of these people include me in their deals as partners!

The bottom line is you . . . if you are going to take advantage of your mentor’s knowledge, you should not hesitate to pay someone. I think GL’s comment below, while good intentioned, is not realistic. No experienced investors I know of are going to take a “newbie” out to lunch and share all of their time and info for free.

Re: Sheets Mentor program,is it worth $2500? - Posted by GL(ON)

Posted by GL(ON) on April 04, 2002 at 15:20:16:

A lot of people who have paid for such mentoring programs have reported that they are disappointed.

To me it seems ironic that a guy promoting buying of real estate for nothing down, would want you to blow $2500 when that is enough to buy a house.

If you were a realtor for 10 years and have read Carleton’s course you already know more than the people he hires as mentors.

If you want a mentor, call up some of the successful investors in your local area. Most of them will be glad to talk to you.

See my answer to “How to get started in small towns” above for more details.

You could also ask for a mentor on this board. Put in the headline “Mentor wanted in —ville”. We have investors from all over.

Nope - Posted by phil fernandez

Posted by phil fernandez on April 04, 2002 at 15:19:32:

No mentering is worth $2,500. Save your $2,500 and use it creatively as a downpayment or as option money for numerous lease/option deals.

My guess is your mentor will be one of Sheets recent students who have bought his course, done a couple of deals and is now a mentor.

Right here at this site you have a 1,000 mentors many whom I’ve personally met who will answer your specific questions for free. And all of the How To Articles, Money Making Articles and Success Stories are all here for you. Again free.

Don’t waste your money on mentoring BS.

Re: Sheets Mentor program,is it worth $2500? - Posted by GL(ON)

Posted by GL(ON) on April 04, 2002 at 18:56:29:

No, you have to pay for the lunch LOL.

When I started out I called some experienced investors out of the blue to ask their advice. They didn’t know me from c’mere and I was trying to compete in their market, yet they went out of their way to help me. I had more than one telephone conversation that lasted more than an hour. I was invited to their homes, and they furnished the coffee and cake LOL.

Looking back I’m sorry I didn’t spend more time with them and pay more attention to what they had to say. They seemed to enjoy it and it could have saved me a lot of hard knocks. But back then I thought I knew it all. And I didn’t like to impose.

It’s not just you and me who like to shoot the breeze so much we’ll do it for free. It seems people like to talk about themselves. Dopers and boozers like to hang out with that type people, golfers like to talk about golf with other golfers, and real estate people like to talk about real estate. The trouble is there are very few real estate people to talk to, compared to boozers dopers and golfers.

Re: Sheets Mentor program,is it worth $2500? - Posted by Charlotte

Posted by Charlotte on April 04, 2002 at 21:06:26:

This is some funny stuff you guys are writing tonight.
Shoud you pay for a mentor? Do you normally pay someone to help you in areas you need help in? OR do you plunge on in, sometimes, where angels fear to tread?
Another option is to check out your local S.C.O.R.E. ( on the web score.org)
these folks combined have more knowledge in most subjects than you have right now. They are civic minded and enjoy working and showing people the ropes of buisness. did I mention it’s free??
These folks are senior citizens usually VERY wealthy captains of industry who have retired and want to stay active in buisness.
Personally, I have learned SO MUCH from these guys.
Do what you think you NEED to do. BUT DO IT! don’t hem and haw around.

Re: Sheets Mentor program,is it worth $2500? - Posted by William Bronchick

Posted by William Bronchick on April 04, 2002 at 19:01:30:

I am a golfer, and I offered a free mentor program to anyone in Atlanta to anyone who got me in to play Augusta National . . . no takers yet.