Re: smelly old houses - Posted by Bob Hanson
Posted by Bob Hanson on April 22, 2000 at 22:38:01:
I’ve just finished a project with a house that the city took for back taxes, had a hole in the roof which they didn’t tarp (though they completely screwed each window and door shut, so no air flow) for about 6 months, piles of moldy plaster, furniture etc. laying there.
I did 10 alternating treatments over 8 months of a scented bleach with a mildewcide from home depot after gutting it, then SPRAYED the entire house with KILZ to seal it before insulating and sheetrocking it. Left the windows open to air it out as well the whole time. I also used soomething called ODOBAN from Sam’s club that worked well. I saw too many exposee’s on 20/20 about mold growing through walls to take any chances. I hate to say it but, if the scent keeps coming through your pine walls, you may have to bite the bullet and get behind them to see what’s causing the problem, sometimes a field mouse or something can eat poison and die in the wall cavities or a leak throuhg some old Yankee gutters might be seeping in. Anyway, scented bleach and KILZ will do the trick on most problems. If it’s carpet pet stains, pull the carpet, bleach it, KILZ it put new padding and carpet down and you should be good.
Good Luck to you in your Real Estate endeavors,
Bob Hanson in Hyde Park, NY