Solution to a common problem - Posted by George(OH)

Posted by Jim IL on April 14, 2000 at 13:00:21:

George,
I will say congrats to you. You have found a way that works for you. That is all that should be important right now.
I took the plunge a while ago and went full time into REI.
I hate to admit it, but some life changes took place with me, and I am now working full time again, and doing REI full time as well. (almost full time anyway.)
This was a tough decision, and one that required a lot of thought and prayer.
Being happily unemployed for the better part of three years made it especially difficult to take on a J.O.B. where others dictated what I am to do, and when.
But, I was lucky enough to find a J.O.B. that allows me to set my own hours, and work rather independently.
Hence me posting here, right now, during my “work hours”.
Will my REI suffer as a result?
I am not sure, but frankly doubt it.
Since I have done it for a little while now, I have a system in place, and therefore do not need to be in my home office costantly running the REI business.
And, as long as i keep my goal in mind, and know that this J.O.B. is only temporary, then I am okay, and will not let anything stand in my way.
Besides, having FREE health benfits is a good thing, right?
Who knows, maybe now my business will get better and make more. Now that my time is limited, I can start to do what I should have a long time ago, and that is to pay others to do much of the work I was handling alone.
This way when I do quit my J.O.B., the business will run even better and allow me more time to find more deals, rather than swinging hammers and painting.
Bottom line is, you have to do what you have to do.
The beauty of this REI business is that YOU are the boss, and make all the calls.
Good luck in your new found freedom,
Jim IL

P.S. It is a bit easier to take a J.O.B. when you know that if you do not like it, you can and will quit with something else to fall back on. REI in my case.

Solution to a common problem - Posted by George(OH)

Posted by George(OH) on April 14, 2000 at 08:54:46:

A lot of people on this site, myself included, are faced with the decision of pursuing REI full-time and ditching our J.O.B.'s. We know deep down that this is the way to go, but then there’s those nagging financial “what if’s” that make us hesitate.

Well, as you know from my 2nd Progress Report, I told my employer that I wanted to switch to part time, and after a week I have gotten no response. I don’t intend to sit around and wait for others to make a decision that affects me and my family, so I will be putting in my 2 week notice today.

Before you start with the “Congrats!” and “Way ta go’s”, I’ll still have a J.O.B. - kind of. What I will be doing is registering with about 5 or 6 different temporary employment agencies (Manpower, Kelly, etc.) for clerical work, which is what I’ve been doing the last 10 years. This way, I can pick & choose when and IF I want to work, and I am in control over the time I spend working on deals.

I thought this idea might be useful to others who are wrestling with the same decision I was.

Thanks for listening,

George(OH)