Storing Evicted Tenants Items - Posted by Alan Pine (CA)

Posted by Joe on March 02, 1999 at 21:31:42:

You need to check your state landlord-tenent law for that info. If you are in the landlord business you should get a copy for your file and use a screening service on all prospective tenants. Good luck to you in the best business to be in. Joe from MN

Storing Evicted Tenants Items - Posted by Alan Pine (CA)

Posted by Alan Pine (CA) on March 02, 1999 at 20:33:50:

Hello Friends:

I had to remove a tenant from one of my properties and they were assisted by the sheriff in there departure, when they left they left several of there belonging behind. My question is how long should I store these items and how much to charge for storage?
They departed owing me over a months rents and I am unable to contact them to have them remove there items.Just how long can I keep this stuff before I sell/donate/keep items?

AL

Re: Storing Evicted Tenants Items - Posted by Paul NJ

Posted by Paul NJ on March 03, 1999 at 10:18:26:

Alan,

I live in NJ and the law regarding storing tenants property after eviction is the landlord is responsible for 30 days and you must try to make contact with them advising them you have there items and they must be removed by xx/xx/99. What I do is send a certified letter to the apartment they were evicted from and if they have there mail forwarded they will get the notice and if they do not have it forwarded I will get the letter back “undeliverable”. This covers you if any claims arise after the storage for 30 days. I have already had a problem with a ex-tenant that took me to court for there things they left 5 months after they were removed by the sheriff and wanted to sue me for the price of their items that were really garbage but they put a $2,000.00 price tag on them anyway. I won in court by protecting myself the way I described. I hope this helps! Good luck!

Paul

Re: Storing Evicted Tenants Items - Posted by Laure

Posted by Laure on March 02, 1999 at 23:55:23:

In Illinois, the police told me what they left, I could throw out. However here, on forcible entry, the police are there while my crew removes their stuff onto public property in front of the house. Therefore, what they don’t take, the garbage man takes. Yes, it is wise to check your local laws, but I wouldn’t pay a dime to store their stuff !

Laure :slight_smile: