Switching over Sec. 8 - Posted by Joe M.

Posted by chris on March 11, 2000 at 23:34:19:

Contact the city or county housing authority. The government pages of your local phone book should have a listing for rental assistance or Section 8. Although it is a HUD program they run it individually through each community’s local government.

Switching over Sec. 8 - Posted by Joe M.

Posted by Joe M. on March 11, 2000 at 22:22:38:


I am a real Estate agent in Michigan, I have run accross a don’t wanter who lives out of state has 6 different homes all with Sec. 8 renters. I did the comps and the are underpriced and will be fairly easy to sell in the upcoming market. If they don’t sell I just rent them to the people that are already in them. Question is how do I get the govt. checks to come to me instead of the old owner. I have never dealt with Sec. 8 before but I couldn’t refuse a good deal.

Thanks in advance


Re: Switching over Sec. 8 - Posted by Bert G

Posted by Bert G on March 12, 2000 at 11:57:52:

As Chris suggested, you’ll have to contact the housing authority or whatever local agency handles the Housing Assistance program (HAP) in your area.

You’ll most likely have to sign a new HAP contract with HUD and new leases with the tenants. I had a tenant who moved frome one apartement to another in the same building with the same rent, and had to go thru the whole rigamarole. Had to do it again when I changed company names. The paperwork is a pain, but if you screen the tenants properly and keep the property up to standards its worthwhile (I hope my HUD tenant lives forever.)