System for rehabbing old singles (Dr. Whisler) - Posted by Eddie-MI

Posted by Steve-WA on September 20, 2003 at 19:21:24:

I can read minds. He means sheet over the existing floor. It is TONS easier, and although you may have to plane a door or two, it is the best.

System for rehabbing old singles (Dr. Whisler) - Posted by Eddie-MI

Posted by Eddie-MI on September 20, 2003 at 24:30:37:

Ok, I got about 20 old singles that are in varying degrees of disrepair in a park I just bought. Some of them are occupied. I have work orders on all of the stuff that is wrong (mostly soft spots in floor, leaking faucets, windows, doors, etc).

I have a decent maintenance man at 8 bucks an hour. I can get the parts at a reasonable price.

My question is what is the SYSTEM needed to get these homes rehabbed properly. I dont want giggly walls, holes in the floor and gaps in the windows, etc. These renters are mostly low income and are pretty rough.

Do you rip out the floor first and pound new particle board into the joists. Then get new faucets and plumbing. Paint and carpet. What are the proper steps to get these rehabbed correctly so they are fixed right?

I don’t want to get very hands-on, but I will help out occassionally and will personally inspect all of this stuff.

Should I be paying this guy by the job? Raise his pay a few bucks? Should I give the maintenance man a detailed list of things to do at each unit before he starts?

Re: System for rehabbing old singles (Dr. Whisler) - Posted by Wayne

Posted by Wayne on September 20, 2003 at 06:25:39:

Eddie, If you main. man is experienced he can help you set priorities. I usually fix the things that caused the damage 1st. On old floors, if there are a lot of bad spots or just weak areas, totally resheeting them is faster and will last longer. Just like having a lot of drywall damage, its easier to cover walls with paneling then to repair and paint. If your repair guy is good and consistent, you might give him a bonus when you sell each home as incentive to continue the good work. Good luck

re: Resheeting MH floors. - Posted by Glen SoCal

Posted by Glen SoCal on September 20, 2003 at 15:23:21:

Wayne–

When you mentioned total resheeting; did you mean sheet over the entire existing floor, or pull up the existing floor and THEN lay down an entirely new floor?

Thanks, Glen