Tax Lien Woes - Posted by Sandy

Posted by David Krulac on September 04, 2001 at 19:16:15:

IRS regs are online at www.irs.gov

Tax Lien Woes - Posted by Sandy

Posted by Sandy on September 04, 2001 at 18:31:40:

I’m looking at a property that has a tax lien. Talked to the atty. hired by the seller and he said that after 10 years the statute of limitations is up and that by law it has to be released. That time will expire in approx. 90 days. He also said that if the lien were discovered before the expiration that assets and income of the seller could be levied to pay off the lien. Obviously, I don’t want to jepordize the seller or the prop.

I need to know if this is accurate info and the best way to handle taking the property now. I would have to wait out the lien and then the atty. will demand a release if it has not already been done.

Please give me some insight so that I may protect myself, the seller, and the next owner. Thank You

Re: Tax Lien Woes - Posted by Ronald * Starr

Posted by Ronald * Starr on September 05, 2001 at 14:55:33:

Sandy----------

JD is right. I believe that the renewal must be done before the old lien expires, otherwise it can not be renewed. But I am not an attorney. You might want to talk to an attorney other than the property owner’s attorney.

Good InvestingRon Starr*****

Re: Tax Lien Woes - Posted by JD

Posted by JD on September 04, 2001 at 21:28:07:

assuming you mean a federal tax lien: the debt lasts forever, the lien on the real estate lasts ten years from the date of recording. All the IRS has to do to renew the lien is to record it again.