Tax Sales (Free and Clear by J.Beck) - Good Idea? - Posted by Jeff Linnemeyer

Posted by toxey hall on December 27, 2004 at 12:19:35:

i want to know all about buying property at tax sales

Tax Sales (Free and Clear by J.Beck) - Good Idea? - Posted by Jeff Linnemeyer

Posted by Jeff Linnemeyer on November 04, 2001 at 20:52:17:

I live in Chicago and have some money to invest. I saw John Beck’s infomercial on investing in Tax Sales and was wondering if anyone has done this (especially in Chicago) and if it is worth trying? Any info on this topic is greatly appreciated.

Jeff
StreamsOfMoney.com

Tax Sales (Free and Clear by J.Beck) - Good Idea? - Posted by Sidney Minor

Posted by Sidney Minor on December 27, 2001 at 21:11:55:

I am very interested in Tax Sales and would like to be contacted at (708) 288-1964.

Re: Tax Sales - Chicago - Posted by John Beck

Posted by John Beck on November 13, 2001 at 12:44:00:

Dear Jeff:

Try out the following information on Cook County:

Cook County Treasurer’s Office
118 N. Clark Street, First Floor, Room 112
Chicago, IL 60602
(312) 603-6200
E-mail: info@cookcountytreasurer.com
Web Sites:
County: http://www.co.cook.il.us/
Treasurer: http://www.cookcountytreasurer.com/
Pappas puts 1999 annual tax-sale list on website; sale begins today:
http://www.cookcountytreasurer.com/news/index.wu?action=displayarticledetail&articleid=10007644
Notification efforts help reduce list of properties for 1999 Annual Tax Sale by 75,000, Pappas says:
http://www.cookcountytreasurer.com/news/index.wu?action=displayarticledetail&articleid=10006036
Information on 1999 Annual Tax Sale with schedule:
http://www.cookcountytreasurer.com/archives/1999taxsaleschedule.html
1999 Annual Tax Sale List:
http://www.cookcountytreasurer.com/archives/taxsale/index.html
Scavenger Sale Begins December 26, 2001:
http://www.cookcountytreasurer.com/news/index.wu?action=displayarticledetail&articleid=10023551

Scavenger Sale Begins December 26, Pappas Announces
Cook County Treasurer
11/08/2001

The 2001 Cook County Scavenger Sale will be held December 26, 2001, through January 16, 2002, in Room B on the Lower Level, 69 W. Washington St., Chicago, Cook County Treasurer Maria Pappas announced today. The sale will begin at 8 a.m. and continue to 4 p.m. each day it is held. The hours may be extended or shortened to accommodate the sale schedule.

The list of the 44,000 pieces of property to be offered at the auction sale will be published next Wednesday and Thursday (November 14 and 15) in local publications. The list will be available for inspection in Room 222 of the County Treasurer’s Office and in Room 434 in the County Clerk’s Office, 118 N. Clark St., Chicago, on Tuesday (November 13), when it also will be available for $250 in hard copy, CD format or zip disk.

The cost to register for the sale is $100 and registration must be done in person. Registration packets may be obtained in Room 222 of the Treasurer’s Office on Tuesday (November 13). Registration will take place November 19 to December 18. There will be no late registration.

By state law, the Treasurer holds the biannual Scavenger Sale in odd-numbered years to offer for sale the unpaid taxes on properties delinquent for two or more years, consecutive or not. A successful bidder can go to court to win ownership of the property. Owners can redeem to avoid loss of the property.

Bids begin at $250, or half of the taxes due if they are less than $500, and rise in $50 increments. When bids reach $1,000, the increments become $100. Decisions by the auctioneer are final. Payment – for registration, list or purchase – is by cashier’s check, money order or cash at Room 112 of the Treasurer’s Office, 118 N. Clark St. No personal or business checks or credit cards are accepted. All sales are confirmed by the Cook County Circuit Court.

The date of the Re-Offer Sale, when purchases voided at the auction are offered for resale, has yet to be set.

If you get a registration packet for the Scavenger Sale coming up, I love to get a copy. If you can, please send to me at John Beck, 1024 Regent Street, Alameda, CA 94501

John Beck

Re: TaxSalesFree &Clear by J.Beck - Good Idea? - Posted by Ronald * Starr

Posted by Ronald * Starr on November 04, 2001 at 23:17:29:

I responded to Jeff Linnemeyer and got this e-mail question in return. I post it here as I see no problem with privacy.

------THE E-MAIL-------

From: LINNEMEYER@aol.com | Block Address | Add to Address Book
Date: Sun, 4 Nov 2001 23:30:59 EST
Subject: Re: Tax SalesFree&Clear by J.Beck[long response]
To: tigerinpa@yahoo.com

Thank you Ron for a great response. Doesn’t sound like my cup of tea. My brother and I have good jobs and some money to invest in real estate. I have done 1 rental in Forest Park (Oak Park area) and it worked good so we may do that again. Other than rentals and rehabbing, do you know any other good ways to make money in real estate? I know that is a general question, but just looking for ideas from someone who knows the Chicago area. Thanks again.

Jeff Linnemeyer

------RESPONSE--------
Jeff Linnemeyer-----------

I really don’t know a lot about the Chicago area, but I study up on tax sales stuff. I did stop off in the treasurer’s office in Joliet, IL, when I was there many years ago.

There are probably about 39,589 different ways to make money with … no make that 89,541 diiferent ways to make money with real … no, hmmm, I think it is more than that.

There are too many different ways to make money with real estate to give you much in the way of advice. I have a post on the main bulletin board of CREONLINE.COM on which I give my suggestions for how to become successful in real estate investing. It may help you some. Put in the search term “beginners success” on that forum. It may help you orient a little bit.

I think that rental properties are fine for the person who has a regular job that s/he likes and wants to do real estate on the side. Then, it just becomes a matter, not a small one, in my opinion, of deciding the kinds of properties, the kinds of locations, the buying strategies, the rental approaches specifically so that can eliminate most of the properties and concentrate on the few that might satisfy you. And these are very individual decisions. I get the impression from what other people have posted from your area that even pretty expensive houses, such as $200K and perhaps even more, can command enough rent to be good investments, especially in the NW suburbs.

I like it that you could tell, from my brief description, that the tax sale route does not appeal to you. One approach down, approximately 100,000 to go.

Good InvestingRon Starr***

Re: Tax Sale - Posted by don bushong

Posted by don bushong on January 01, 2002 at 01:24:17:

scam to get your money.just call your state office and ask to be connected to the state land office.then ask if they have any tax delinquet land for sale in your county.if they do have them send you the list.the list has instructions on what to do next.

foolish? - Posted by Shejuana Harrington

Posted by Shejuana Harrington on December 30, 2001 at 10:38:15:

@ 49.90/ four months/no services yet received!
Skeptical!

Re: Tax Sales - Pennsylvania?? - Posted by Stacy Cravener

Posted by Stacy Cravener on January 03, 2002 at 08:08:06:

John,

I saw your commercial last night. I am very interested, but know NOTHING about Real Estate. It is something that I have been interested in, but have no idea where to start. I am 30 years old and am very bright (if I must say so myself)and hopefully not destined to continue to work for someone else and have them tell me how much I am worth.

I want you to level with me. I have seen many programs, but they all seem either too far fetched or something that you invest all this time and money into and get nothing out of it but headaches.

By the time I am 35, I would like to have some sort of established business. This way, when I wake up, I don’t have to sludge into a job I can’t stand, but have the option to have my own business making more money than I can make working for someone else.

I have searched the internet to find more information about your product, but was wondering if it is lucrative for me. I live in Pennsylvania and are wondering what my opportunities are here.

Any information would be helpful.

Thanks,

Stacy Cravener

Re: Tax Sales - Chicago - Posted by Ed Wissard

Posted by Ed Wissard on November 15, 2001 at 05:30:25:

John. Can you still purchase 2-3 yr old tax certificates over the counter and immediately apply for deed in Oklahoma County OK?

Re: foolish? - Posted by Michael barger

Posted by Michael barger on February 22, 2002 at 11:55:27:

I made over a million dollars the last three years using john’s system. you must be doing something wrong.

Re: Tax Sales - Pennsylvania?? - Posted by Michael barger

Posted by Michael barger on February 22, 2002 at 11:52:32:

What county do you plan to purchase in?

Tax Sales - Virginia - Posted by Rkosonom

Posted by Rkosonom on February 08, 2002 at 22:36:48:

Has anyone tried this in Virginia? Are there any good oportunities?

Posted by John Beck on November 16, 2001 at 05:25:22:

Dear Ed:

Yes, there are.

All seventy-seven Oklahoma County treasurers conduct annual tax lien certificate sales on the first Monday in October. Since the interest rate received by purchasers of Oklahoma certificates is a relatively low eight percent (8%), an extremely high percentage of certificates go unsold. If there are no ?bidders? for any certificates, then the county treasurer is authorized to purchase those certificate for the amount of taxes, penalty, interest and costs due and unpaid on the real property that is security for the certificates, If anyone is ?desirous? of purchasing any certificate bought by a county, that ?person shall have an absolute right to purchase (that) certificate by paying to the county treasurer the amount of all the taxes, penalties, interest and costs of sale and transfer, for the year or years so purchased, up to the date of purchase.?

If a certificate is not redeemed, then the certificate holder can start the process of applying for a deed (i.e., administratively foreclosing the statutory right of redemption) ?after a date not exceeding sixty (60) days prior to the expiration of two (2) years subsequent to the date of annual tax lien certificate sale (i.e., the first Monday in October) at which the certificate was sold either to a private party or to the county.

Those certificates not sold to private parties at either the annual tax lien certificate sale or, subsequently, by assigned from the county are sold at a so-called ?resale? auction (i.e., a public oral bid foreclosure auction sale of the real property that is security for the unpurchased certificates) that must be held by all seventy-seven (77) county treasurers on the second Monday in June.

The county treasurer must give notice of the ?resale? auction ?by publication of the notice ?once a week for four (4) consecutive weeks preceding such sale, in some (qualified) newspaper.? An Oklahoma Attorney General?s Opinion universally followed by the seventy-seven (77) Oklahoma county treasurers states the opinion that: ?An individual may not acquire the county?s interesting real estate by purchasing a tax certificate (over-the-counter) after the property has been advertised for resale.?

Consequently there are Oklahoma tax certificates available to be bought over-the-counter at each of the seventy-seven (77) county treasurer?s offices where the purchaser can immediately start the process of applying for a deed (which takes at least sixty-one (61) days to complete) from sixty days prior to the first Monday in October of the year in which the certificate was first sold ? or approximately the first Monday in August of each year ? to the date of first publication of the resale auction, being approximately the second Monday in May. Consequently, there is over a nine (9) month period where certain Oklahoma tax certificates can be bought over-the-counter at the county treasurer?s office that the purchaser can immediately start to process of applying for a treasurer?s certificate tax deed. If the over-the-counter purchaser obtains such a deed (i.e., after proper notification those persons having a legal or equitable interest in the property that is security for the purchased certificate and failure of those persons to redeem within sixty (60) days of such notification), then that purchaser will have literally bought a property for back taxes, penalties, interest and costs, including costs of notification ? or, for valuable parcels of real property, just a few pennies on the fair market value dollar.

John Beck

Re: foolish? - Posted by Shejuana Harrington

Posted by Shejuana Harrington on June 19, 2006 at 19:46:13:

Yes, waiting for the paid package to arrive in the mail–I finally received the package after 5 weeks–and you blamed me for being skeptical…perhaps now, I 'll have similar success as you!

Re: foolish? - Posted by IK Anderson

Posted by IK Anderson on March 02, 2002 at 22:55:12:

Rec’d John Beck’s info and it sounds good. Ready to start… BUT, John Beck’s office called and want to know if I would like to work directly with him (for a larger investment I’m certain). I suppose working directly with him will help to avoid certain pitfalls which I’m sure are many when you first start out. Did you do this?? Just curious cause my whole family is ready to throw ourselves into this - looking to replace our incomes… thx

Re: Tax Sales - Pennsylvania?? - Posted by Joe

Posted by Joe on March 31, 2003 at 13:52:17:

Hi Michael,
What are the possibilities of Tax Sales in Easton (Northampton County) and where would I find them.

Re: Tax Sales - Virginia - Posted by IK Anderson

Posted by IK Anderson on March 02, 2002 at 23:00:24:

I live in VA and the tax sales aren’t as easy as other states… you have to attend the foreclosure auction and win the bid. Then, your winning bid goes before the county judge and if the county thinks you’re not offering enough for the property, then they can put the property back on the auction block (for the following auction usually 6 mos to a year later) and you get nothing. And, you pay for court costs… It can be profitable if the right opportunity presents itself though. It’s just tough to predict what the judge will rule.

Re: Tax Sales - Oregon - Posted by dj

Posted by dj on February 01, 2002 at 20:40:38:

Does this program work in Oregon as well?

Re: Tax Sales - Chicago - Posted by tony

Posted by tony on December 05, 2001 at 21:26:03:

HOW WELL DOES “FREE AND CLEAR” WORK IN FLORIDA,PINELLAS,PASCO COUNTY I SAW THE SAME INFORMERCICAL AND VERY INTERESTED I ALREADY HAVE CARLTON SHEETS COURSE BUT HAVEN’T STARTED

Posted by John Beck on January 08, 2002 at 22:34:00:

Dear Tony:

In my opinion, Florida is an excellent tax sale investment state. Over the years, I’ve bought numerous properties in Florida through the tax sale process.

John Beck