Telling tenants to jump in a lake - Posted by Tracy Lance

Posted by eric on May 09, 2000 at 10:36:35:

I have actually been having a lot of legal problems lately, as well. All of a sudden I’ve had about 3 or 4 skirmishes come up at once - no real reason, they’ve just come about in the course of doing business and aren’t really related to one another. In each case, I’ve been more brash than cautious, because in the past I’ve always just capitulated on the idea that it was cheaper than going to court. But now, it seems like people are just getting flat out greedy, and making threats just to shake the trees and see if any money falls out. I’ve told all of them to go jump in the lake as well, I’ve put an attorney on retainer, and I’m ready to back it up with legal action, should it become necessary. And I’ve let everyone know that. Even though all these little tiffs are for amounts below $1000, at some point handing out a couple c-notes to everyone who asks just starts to get expensive. We’ve got to draw the line somewhere. I hope that for both of us, a good offense will turn out to be the best defense.

Telling tenants to jump in a lake - Posted by Tracy Lance

Posted by Tracy Lance on May 09, 2000 at 01:47:26:

Last week I posted a message about legal troubles with a L/O. I received a lot of great advice, and really wanted to use the exact term of “go jump in a lake”. Just to make sure I am covered, I met with a local attorney this morning and explained to him the situation, and he said that everything looks to be in order. When I explained that my contracts come from an attorney (Bronchick), he said “well then you should have nothing to worry about”. So, when I talked with the irrate tenants tonight, I told them in a nice, diplomatic way, to go jump in a lake! He did not have much to say after that, so he is either accepting the fact that he has no chance, or accepting the fact that I am not going to give in and hand him some money, and so is going to try to pursue it through his bar tender - I mean attorney. I will keep everyone posted.

Thanks everyone,
Tracy Lance

Re: Telling tenants to jump in a lake - Posted by Laure

Posted by Laure on May 09, 2000 at 02:10:47:

Wow !! What a power play ! You must feel great !

I hope I get to use it some day LOL

Great going.

Laure :slight_smile:

Re: Telling tenants to jump in a lake - Posted by Tracy Lance

Posted by Tracy Lance on May 09, 2000 at 09:39:09:

Of course, before I celebrate any victory, I want to wait a few weeks to see if they try something else. But yes, it did feel good.

Tracy