Tenant in New Purchase - Posted by EB

Posted by Ronald * Starr(in No CA) on September 30, 2003 at 10:30:50:

EB–(FL)---------------

There is a website for Florida property owners/managers. It has been referenced several times in the past. I’d suggest you do an archive search on this main forum of this CREONLINE.COM website. “fl tenant” “florida tenant” etc. If you don’t find it in last year’s, go back to other years.

Or do a google search.

Good InvestingRon Starr*

Tenant in New Purchase - Posted by EB

Posted by EB on September 30, 2003 at 09:51:39:

We are closing on a deal today. There is a month-to-month tenant in the property that has apparently been avoiding our phone calls. How do we get him out for November 1 in the state of Florida? (He is not paying market rent and we are going to resell this property as soon as we get it fixed.)

The lease that we have on one other property gives us the right to enter the property to fix things. Since this is a month-to-month, do we have that same right with this one? We know that the upstairs shower needs repair and has been leaking, so it is important to get it fixed ASAP.

Thanks for any experienced advice!

Re: Tenant in New Purchase - Posted by Brent_IL

Posted by Brent_IL on September 30, 2003 at 19:18:26:

You have the right to make repairs so the property doesn’t get damaged, e.g., water damage. Ask your county how to proceed.

I don’t know Florida law, but I doubt you will be able to get him out by 11/1 if he doesn’t want to go. At the very least you will have to give him a 30-day written notice that you want possession. If he?s not gone, you?ll have to file a forcible detainer action.

Re: Tenant in New Purchase - Posted by Sean

Posted by Sean on September 30, 2003 at 11:13:48:

Don’t close untill the seller gets him out. You should have made that a part of the deal. You could now be faced with a lot of extra expense that should be the seller’ responsibility, if you make that a part of the deal. Have you talked to the tenant or has the seller or you given him notice to move? Maybe he will be cooperative. Does he have a security deposit that the seller is transferring to you? You may even want to pay him to move if it is worth it. If not, you will probably have to evict him yourself or pay to have it done. Let us know exactly where you are and we may be able to help.