Tenant Problem, and I'm a little stumped.....HELP! - Posted by Jim IL

Posted by TomC-(MD) on December 03, 1999 at 18:23:42:

Did you get a copy of the existing leases when you purchased the property? If so, quickly review it and see if there are statements like “no sublet” or “no assignment”.

If not, call the cops NOW! Meet them over there and explain to the officers that you have no idea who these people are who are in your property.

If you fail to act, you now have tenants…and you can’t get rid of them without an eviction! Call the cops now, and you are having tresspassers removed.

Be sure to tell the cops that you have never seen these people before!

TomC

Tenant Problem, and I’m a little stumped…HELP! - Posted by Jim IL

Posted by Jim IL on December 03, 1999 at 18:10:34:

Hello all,
We have a duplex that we recently purchased, and it had tenants in place already. While in the process of doing repairs lately, we have had contact with the tenants in each unit, all seemed to be going well.
But, today when I went to work on the building, one of the units had change the locks and we could not get in. (at least not without breaking down the door, which we elected to hold off on for tonight.)
So, we left the tenants a note, and asked that they call us immediately.
Well, I went back, and someone was home, but no-one answered the door. So, I called the tenants, and was told that the old tenants had moved out, and there was now a new family in the unit, UNAUTHORIZED!
We are not sure just how long they have been in the unit, but it cannot be more than 2-3 days, because that is when we last saw the previous tenants there.
What can I do to get them OUT?
What would you do?

I already tried to contact my lawyer, but he is away for the weekend. ARGH!!

And, of course, the rent is due NOW, and the tenants when asked about this and some other things are responding, “We speaka de no english!” , after talking to me for several minutes prior in a fairly decent broken english.

So, any input is appreciated,
Jim IL

P.S. I’m not a bad guy, I just want to know “WHO” is living in my building, and what the deal is with the rent!

I recently had this problem… - Posted by Glenn-PA

Posted by Glenn-PA on December 04, 1999 at 19:45:49:

I owned a fourplex in Baltimore. One tenant moved out without notice and moved in a friend. I had to get what is called (in Baltimore at least) a “Squatter’s Notice”. Essentially, it’s a streamlined eviction and I was told it takes 2 - 3 weeks and the Sheriff does the put out. I didn’t wait however, I told the squatter that he had to leave immediately or face trespass charges. I also told him that while I wouldn’t change his apartment locks I would change the lock to the common entrance for the protection of my other residents. The kid saw that it’d be more hassle than it was worth and moved. Maybe your town has a similar “squatters notice”?

Re: Tenant Problem, and I’m a little stumped…HELP! - Posted by Bert G

Posted by Bert G on December 03, 1999 at 22:27:07:

One more thing in addition to what others have said. If you want them gone, DO NOT ACCEPT ANY RENT from them. If you take any money at all, that would imply a rental agreement and you have the whole eviction thing to go thru.

BG

Re: Tenant Problem, and I’m a little stumped…HELP! - Posted by Rob FL

Posted by Rob FL on December 03, 1999 at 19:18:50:

Tom is correct. Verify the leases, make sure that the tenants on the leases are not the same people living in the unit. If they are not, call the police and have these people removed for trespassing.