Tenant repairs without permission - Posted by Jay

Posted by lingerie dreams on October 08, 2005 at 01:51:23:

lingerie travel bag men wearing lace lingerie britney lingerie moms lingerie leann rimes lingerie brooke burke lingerie model man wearing lingerie lingerie babes lingerie photo gallery party lingerie online stores

Tenant repairs without permission - Posted by Jay

Posted by Jay on July 07, 2005 at 01:00:45:

Greetings,

I have a tenant in a rental house who has torn the roof off of the carport and replaced it, without my knowledge or permission. Now he wants me to reimburse him…I say no way. I believe the request to have the carport repaired must have been in writing, from the tenant to me. If I failed to respond, then he could make the repairs. I’d appreciate any other opinions / viewpoints.

Thanks,

Jay

Opportunity in disguise - Posted by Mr. Big

Posted by Mr. Big on July 07, 2005 at 14:44:03:

On thinking it over you could have a gem there- a tenant who not only doesn’t wreck things, he actually fixes them.

If you need a handyman tell him you will hire him fromm now on when you need something fixed.

You don’t have to pay for the roof because you didn’t ask for it to be fixed. But if you were going to get it fixed anyway, well why not be a good sport about it and give him some money?

You May Have a Bigger Problem… - Posted by Randy (SD)

Posted by Randy (SD) on July 07, 2005 at 12:02:21:

Roof repair even on a carport requires a building permit (in most cases, I would check with building services department - anonymously of course) so if you’re “handyman tenant” did this without your knowledge or permission most likely he did not get the appropriate permits. This poses considerable risk for you, I know of a similar situation in my area where a homeowner did a quick weekend roof replacement (without permits and on the weekend to minimize the chances of getting caught) only to be informed on Monday morning he will be fined $100 a day until he gets it inspected and acquirers the necessary permits and the cost of the permit is double.

What does your lease say about repairs? Most leases prohibit unauthorized repairs, violation of the lease is grounds for eviction.

Re: Tenant repairs without permission - Posted by Jay

Posted by Jay on July 07, 2005 at 11:56:35:

Thanks for all the input…Yes the carport roof did need to be repaired, however I told him I was going to take care of it this summer (in addtion to the regular roof). By the way, I did give him a 3-day notice to pay or vacate, also.

Thanks,

Jay

Re: Tenant repairs without permission - Posted by Sean (OH)

Posted by Sean (OH) on July 07, 2005 at 10:54:59:

I would try collecting the rent.
If on (whatever your day your lease says) he hasn’t paid you the rent hand him a 3 day notice.
at the end of the 3 days file for eviction.
Take the matter up with the courts.
I tell all my tenants that I do all the work.

Re: Tenant repairs without permission - Posted by Anne_ND

Posted by Anne_ND on July 07, 2005 at 08:44:48:

Depending on your rental market I’d seriously consider eviction. Your tenant might be just a handyman looking for a place to roost, or a scammer, but he smells more like a scammer to me.

I suggest you make it very very clear that they are not allowed to make any material changes to the property without your written approval.

good luck,

Anne

Hmmm. - Posted by DaveD (WI)

Posted by DaveD (WI) on July 07, 2005 at 08:35:12:

Is this just a vector towards getting a free months rent? Sometimes folks get real “handy” when they run out of cash. So they try to trade their sweat at retail rates against their rent obligation. Amazing how creative they can be when it comes to beating you on the rent. Hope you like the color of the roof. If not, he can fix that next month. LOL.

Re: Tenant repairs without permission - Posted by Stan

Posted by Stan on July 07, 2005 at 08:01:24:

Was it in need of being repaired or replaced?

Re: Tenant repairs without permission - Posted by Mr. Big

Posted by Mr. Big on July 07, 2005 at 07:39:04:

If they did it without your permission and you didn’t authorise it, you don’t owe them anything.

The only time you can be forced to pay for repairs is if it is something necessary for life or health, and only after they have notified you, given you a reasonable time to fix the problem, and you didn’t.

For example if the furnace quit in the middle of winter, they told you, and you didn’t do anything for a week so they had it fixed, then yes they could sue you for the repair bill. But certainly not for a carport roof.

Re: Tenant repairs without permission - Posted by larry

Posted by larry on July 07, 2005 at 06:59:30:

Were you planning on replacing it in the near future? If so then why not reimburse the tenant for half the cost? And reiterate to them that this is the only time you will do this and be stern.

If you were not planning on fixing it and you never broached the subject with your tewnant then tell him/her that you cannot repay them since you did not negotiate this up front.

my .02

Re: Opportunity in disguise - Posted by ski

Posted by ski on July 07, 2005 at 20:19:52:

Does it have to be permitted? If so can be a problem.

vermont vioxx law suit - Posted by vermont vioxx law suit

Posted by vermont vioxx law suit on January 18, 2006 at 13:28:32:

discount fabrics usa bryce canyon prints nasdaq newsletters free veterans day e cards concrete utility products chihuahua puppies breeder ckc alternative nursing jobs infant chinese girl clothes disability attorneys oklahoma vintage poster argentina travel nc golf property lowrider flash h0tty00002122 20l com florida dog bit victim attorney skipco com metroden snowman save the date magnet mammoth cabins song title using lyrics toilet seats from foreign countries microsoft knowledge add link free halloween pumpkin carving patterns pda nursing assessment documentation software utility medical pouch steven paul rawlins james renney grand rapids department store g42 8jg driveing directions calculate wave length easy divinity ls magazine girls music studio organizer man swallowed by snake blem baseball bat elvis presley wristwatch nip and tuck tv series bob sumera jeanette rodriguez crystal bob drake 1934 ford grill cool and unique baby names centaur chiron baattle mythology ideas for band names mandy merlot yahoolagains nothingbutneopets avatars snipsnap code macro example rcmp jack spurs marijuana cause seizure easy apple crisp recipe lip type small diameter seal video instruction for aikido abby winters gallery building self storage unit microstaff winaspi cabin cruisers uk senator jon lindsay texas retire how indians made soap replace boiler gauge glass amish wooden rocking horse atk hairy monday african faeries jar soup recipes colorado stretch limo colorado auto parts foldable wheeled shopping bag teeney bopper trannydestruction com flourless cut out cookies wholesale aerobic clothing albert robertson fat albert pictures of murder victims thia food autum wallpaper saga prefecture souvenirs antique wood loom dresser td15c parts muddy wet boots burning urinate zoning maps cocoa fl mzmariia ability induced rage skimpy men swimwear free sample of wedding program honda wx15 water pump web dedicated hosting shopper com flea market webster city fl nat gas fireplaces help reduce child support dvd decoder free download bellevue virtual office space teen money management guest ranch job dr laura pictures herbal rmedies for poison oak boutwell genealogy exploited black women what is experimental research preschool activities for caves some guy named robb

Re: You May Have a Bigger Problem… - Posted by Barry (GA)

Posted by Barry (GA) on July 07, 2005 at 15:49:14:

You need a permit to reshingle a roof? In my area you do need permits for new constructions and additions, maybe certain inside remodeling jobs, but not to reshingle an existing roof.

We just rehabbed a badly burned property in a town about 30 minutes away and there were NO inspections! I called all of the offices but since it was outside of the city limits it was not under anyones jurisdiction. Had a trusted contractor do the work.

Good investing,
Barry

alias ringtone - Posted by alias ringtone

Posted by alias ringtone on September 21, 2005 at 19:10:53:

verizon wireless ringtones free ringtones sprint samsung free christian ringtones free ringtone downloads free cricket ringtones free motorola ringtone downloads star wars ringtone free ringtones nokia 5165 free ringtones sprint download free nextel ringtones

Re: Hmmm. - Posted by Chuck Rosenberg

Posted by Chuck Rosenberg on September 06, 2005 at 14:15:40:

wine cellar racks wine storage scottsdale arizona calories wine discount wine coolers wine cellar racks wall wine racks wine making press wine party dallas napa limousine wine tours communion wine dispenser

extra cheap phentermine - Posted by extra cheap phentermine

Posted by extra cheap phentermine on January 23, 2006 at 18:24:11:

phentermine uk phentermine accepts cod c.o.d. phentermine phentermine 37.5 overnight phentermine for $79 buy phentermine usps phentermine cash on delivery extra cheap phentermine phentermine all states phentermine cash on delivery phentermine uk cheap phentermine no script c.o.d. phentermine phentermine free shipping 1800 order phentermine online cod phentermine with saturday delivery phentermine 37.5 overnight phentermine 37.5 tablets phentermine accepts cod phentermine pillstore cheap phentermine no script phentermine 50 states phentermine 50 states c.o.d. phentermine phentermine hydrochloride phentermine for $79 phentermine 37.5 paypal phentermine 37.5 overnight phentermine paypal order phentermine online cod cheap phentermine no script buy phentermine usps phentermine with saturday delivery cheap phentermine within 24 hours phentermine online stores phentermine 37.5 mg 180 tablets phentermine free shipping 1800 phentermine online stores phentermine 37.5 overnight 180ct phentermine phentermine cash on delivery ecurrency phentermine cheap phentermine within 24 hours online phentermine stores phentermine 37.5 paypal phentermine 30 mg phentermine paypal order phentermine with cash on delivery phentermine online stores phentermine western union phentermine all states phentermine american express phentermine 30 mg phentermine 37.5 paypal phentermine with saturday delivery phentermine cheap cash on delivery online phentermine stores phentermine accepts cod c.o.d. phentermine phentermine all states

Re: Opportunity in disguise - Posted by shelly

Posted by shelly on May 15, 2006 at 11:26:50:

what happened with the roof payment,is tenant still there.make sure they have a tenant policy to cover their stuff and make sure youre covered for tenant coverage,put it in writing as im finding most forget what you tell them and then turn it around to mean something else.please let us know what happened.thanks