tenant selling cigarrets and ices!!!!!!!!!!! - Posted by MattYash

Posted by Tom-FL on July 06, 2003 at 23:50:47:

Read every word of your lease and your landlord/tenant statutes. Shouldn’t be allowed, but if you don’t have it in black & white, could be a tough road. If there is no lease, in FL at least, a LL can terminate on 15 days notice, without cause. Look for something similar.

tenant selling cigarrets and ices!!! - Posted by MattYash

Posted by MattYash on July 06, 2003 at 21:52:01:

what can I do??

Well … - Posted by Redline

Posted by Redline on July 07, 2003 at 11:48:08:

If the tenant is a convenient store then that’s to be expected!!

RL

Re: tenant selling cigarrets and ices!!! - Posted by Brad Crouch

Posted by Brad Crouch on July 07, 2003 at 11:30:24:

Matt,

Is the rent being paid on time? Maybe this is better than the tennant defaulting on his agreement?

Brad

Re: tenant selling cigarrets and ices!!! - Posted by TonyWynn

Posted by TonyWynn on July 07, 2003 at 10:59:31:

Call the local zoning board , they’ll straighten him out for you.

Re: tenant selling cigarrets and ices!!! - Posted by MattYash

Posted by MattYash on July 06, 2003 at 23:25:19:

Well…

here in NY it is illegal to sell cigarettes without a license from the tobacco and liquor authority.

Also, this is an apartment, and this is commercial activity.

can I evict them based on these issues??

Re: tenant selling cigarrets and ices!!! - Posted by Tom-FL

Posted by Tom-FL on July 06, 2003 at 23:01:25:

Suggest he add beer to his product line.

Re: tenant selling cigarrets and ices!!! - Posted by Kristine-CA

Posted by Kristine-CA on July 06, 2003 at 22:14:04:

How about asking for a cut of the gross sales? Anywhere from 10-20% is fair for concessions.

Honestly, how can anyone respond to a post that doesn’t explain what the problem is. What is it that you want to know. Post some details (sans exclamation points) and maybe someone can help. Kristine.

What no 6-packs or 1/2 pints??? - Posted by James Mc (IL)

Posted by James Mc (IL) on July 07, 2003 at 24:08:19:

This was not my tennant but I, and most of the late night city was aware of him.

This older guy would open up shop when the bars closed. He had 3 or 4 refridgerators all stocked with six packs and he had 1/2 pints in a locked cabinet.

He would sit and watch T.V., mostly religious shows, and sell his stock. This is how he made a living.

The law would undercover the place and watch who would come and go. If they saw someone on their list they would follow and pick them up. Everone else, they would take notes.

This went on for years and years. Finaly, I think he just stoped.

But IN THIS STATE, ILL, if a landlord is aware of illegal activity, and it can be proven that you know, the state can take your property!!!

And are you sure that they aren’t selling something else???

James Mc

Read your lease, this is an apartment, right?

Re: tenant selling cigarrets and ices!!! - Posted by Brent_IL

Posted by Brent_IL on July 06, 2003 at 23:52:57:

I guess the answer to that is in your lease. Eviction is much different than a city notice to cease-and-desist. The rental agreement might pick it up under an unspecified “illegal activity” clause. Personally, unless folks were complaining about the traffic, or he was behind on payments (a different issue) I’d view his thriving business as an additional source of rent guarantee.