The case for FAQ - Posted by Bert G ND

Posted by chris on June 17, 2000 at 04:42:02:

DW-

As a bit of a homework project you should go to the articles found through the links on the left of the page. Every day read at least a few and preferably more. In a short period of time you will have read them all and know from memory which article to go to when a situation arises.

If you have not joined your local real estate investors club do so. You will get a lot out of it such as “boot camps” at a fraction of the cost of what the big time nationwide gurus charge. The link to find clubs are within the same yellow banner where the articles are.

This does not apply to you and it is just me venting but…I am amazed at the number of people who lay out lots of time and bucks for a college education to pursue a field of interest to make money and do what they have an interest in. Yet, when it comes to spending a bit of time and money for a real estate education they spend years wondering whether they should spend under $200 on Carleton Sheets or some other course that gives them a money back guarantee. The multi-thousand $$$ guru camps are another story and I suggest you check with your local club as I mentioned above for that area. As many a RE Jedi Master here(I am not in that club) has said before if they had the information starting out we have available today they could have cut years off of their learning curve.

-Chris

The case for FAQ - Posted by Bert G ND

Posted by Bert G ND on June 15, 2000 at 14:07:41:

There’s been a discussion of FAQ versus checking the archives. Upon seeing the most recent post on Graystone, I did a little experiment. I searched the archives.

The basic search returned 22 hits, which when the threads were followed lead to some 27 messages.

Seven of these were asking the same basic question. Three said “check the archives”. 10 had other comments that while helpful, did not answer the question. Four said glowing things about Graystone, but since they were all from a Graystone associate, should be taken with a grain of salt.
Only three actually attempted give a concise answer to the question asked, but were not really complete.

Some people here complain about the ingnorant helpless newbie who won’t take the time to sort through two-dozen posts on the archives to find a simple answer to their simple question. They’ll never take time to check a FAQ.

BUT if a FAQ DID exist and was prominantly displayed, it could provide a simple answer to their basic question ie: Q"I’ve read Graystone’s website but its vague on what they actually do, whats the deal? A: You buy a house and convince the seller to carry the note, then Graystone buys the note at a discount from the seller for cash."(actually that’s just a guess, I’ve never gotten a good answer on just what their deal is)

At last count there are 110 excellent articles in the How To section. Yes, everyone should read them. But its a lot to sift thru when you have a specific question, especially if its not plainly addressed in the articles title. A FAQ on the most common questions could be given a short answer, and if more detail is appropriate, could contain a link to the specific article. IE: “Q: What’s flipping? A: Buying property at below market price and reselling for a profit. See the Beginner’s Quick Flip Primer article http://www.creonline.com/art-118.htm

Of course a FAQ isn’t likely to appear magically over night. It will take a fair amount of work to set up properly, and J.P.,Terry, and Jeanne already have plenty to do running the best REI site on the planet. But just like eating a whale, it can be done one bite at a time.

Now I have a question for the FAQ list. Is Creative Real Estate Online affiliated with AD Kessler’s Creative Real Estate magazine? I’ve heard both yes and no, and it’s got me curious.

BG

Re: The case for FAQ - Posted by eric-fl

Posted by eric-fl on June 16, 2000 at 14:24:54:

Since I started a thread on this earlier, I’ll respond. A lot of people responded to my original post suggesting that much of the information was already in the articles - I think a link to the article that is appropriate would be a good thing. It would also help to encourage the further reading of said articles. In addition, you had also mentioned that it is difficult to find the answer to a specific question in an article, and I would agree, but this would then not fit the definition of a FAQ. (At least not my definition.) FAQ’s are usually non-specific, as in “What is flipping?”, or “What is a ‘comp’?” Specific questions are exactly what the newsgroup is for.

Incidentally, to also address the question about Graystone, I don’t know what that is all about, but to answer Laure’s good point about liablility when mentioning a business name, again, a specifically named business in a question would, IMHO, be too detailed for inclusion in a FAQ list to begin with. Just my 2 cents.

Re: The case for FAQ - Posted by Laure

Posted by Laure on June 16, 2000 at 07:52:25:

wouldn’t there be a liability issue in doing that? I mean, the way the posts are now, it’s just us talking. Take our advice, or not. It’s just all opinion.

Laure :wink:

Re: The case for FAQ - Posted by chris

Posted by chris on June 15, 2000 at 18:24:52:

Bert-

I’m one of the people who says search the archives;-}, so I was probably one of the hits you found.

An idea on the Graystone question. Since you have researched which of those 22 hits produced the best answers, how about hooking the “newbie” up to quicken their search.

For example, under your post why not post a reply (it would be to yourself). The subject title would be “How Graystone’s program works” or something clear. The text would simply be a cut and paste of the links most relevant-you know the three. There may actually be more but that would consist of looking through all of the prior months also.

When the “newbie” is sent to the archives and they do a search they will see your subject stand out as the answer to their question. One thing you have probably noticed when doing a search is that some of the subject titles are somewhat cryptic.

If I know of an article on the subject I will usually provide the link. For example, the next time someone asks a general question about what type of corporation should they set up I will copy the link for Bronchick’s article on the subject. To make it clearer to future archive searchers who are directed to do a search I will use as my subject something like “Help on deciding what type of corporation you should use for your Real Estate Investing activities.”

-Just my thought, Chris

Good Point Laure… - Posted by chris

Posted by chris on June 16, 2000 at 10:20:24:

Laure-

I was thinking along the same lines. If an FAQ got to the level where CREOnline stated that___________ Mortgage Company is not doing anything unique and you should save your money then there could be a possible lawsuit. Like you say, as it is now it’s just us regular folks giving our opinion.

-Chris

Re: The case for FAQ - Posted by DW

Posted by DW on June 16, 2000 at 24:02:55:

I’m a new investor and the information is overwhelming. I have no objection to searching the archives, but I think the FAQ would be wonderful. I also think that some of the “titles” we see posted at the newsgroup don’t really help a person know what’s inside, so if everyone would be clear and state a normal type of subject line, that would help also, even in the archives. I am reading books but there’s a lot to learn even at the basic level. How about a FAQ that is put together like a mini course. Simple concepts first going toward the more complex – even strategies. In the meantime, I’ll keep reading the site and learning.