The Money Pit...Lessons on how to give your money away in a MH deal - Posted by Mark_TX

Posted by OzarkMark on March 29, 2000 at 24:15:09:

Ouch! Sorry to hear about your problem, but it shouldn’t cost too much too replace. I don’t believe you need a special MH box…just buy one at an electric supply house or Home Depot, Lowes, etc., but have it installed by a licensed electrician! 240 volts is nothing to fool with!

The Money Pit…Lessons on how to give your money away in a MH deal - Posted by Mark_TX

Posted by Mark_TX on March 28, 2000 at 23:01:44:

Okay, so at least I bought it low enough that I can “afford” to learn a few lessons…

So, the kid I bought the MH from took the dang breaker box right off the power pole.

I am really needing information on where to find used MH parts and possibly a very inexpensive repair guy in the Houston area.

Regards,
–Mark

Final Walk Through - Posted by Tony-VA

Posted by Tony-VA on March 29, 2000 at 11:03:21:

Lyal is absolutely right. When you sign the purchase agreement, provide them with a small down payment (I use $50). Then set the sale for the day that the seller says they can have all of their stuff out. On the date of Final Walk through, everything must be as written in the purchase agreement or the deal is off (or renegotiated). It is imperative to explain this to them when you are sitting down to sign the purchase agreement on day one.

Once the walk through is complete, I take the keys from them and start installing my new door knobs and locks.

Tony-VA

Re: The Money Pit…Lessons on how to give your money away in a MH deal - Posted by lyal

Posted by lyal on March 29, 2000 at 07:25:46:

Yep, I learned this lesson too. Now, in most cases, I pay a deposit up front, and we sign a legal looking “Contract of Sale”. I sign a check for the balance on the hood of the car after we walk through and I have the keys. I haven’t had to resort to changing the locks yet.

I’ve seen… - Posted by Paul_NY

Posted by Paul_NY on March 29, 2000 at 04:40:44:

…a renter or owner take out their electric stove, wire and breaker. Others take out kitchen cabinets, ceiling fans, lights, shrubbery, etc…

Best thing to do is write it into the purchase offer. Sometimes tenants and owners alike do not care if an item is a ‘fixture’.

Paul_NY