This house has been winterized......? - Posted by way_motivated

Posted by CS on October 27, 2003 at 16:38:49:

no way.

The property was already deeded over to me and I had not reinstated the mortgage yet.

This house has been winterized…? - Posted by way_motivated

Posted by way_motivated on October 27, 2003 at 07:46:24:

I was just wondering if someone could clue me in to what this could mean. Every once in a while i come across a vancant property that has this posted on it from some agency.Does this mean this agency owns the place or is looking after it? or does it mean that the city knows the property is vacant and is just waiting for the bank to finish foreclosing (the only houses i’ve seen this on are ones pending foreclosure).

Had this happen… - Posted by CS

Posted by CS on October 27, 2003 at 10:02:36:

This is pretty common. When a property in foreclosure is learned to be vacant the lender secures their interest in the property by changing the locks to avoid any negative occurances that go along with vacant property. They do a few other things to “winterize” but mostly they do this to secure the place. I’ve had this happen before and I just changed the locks and put the pedal to the metal in finding someone to occupy the place.

my .02
CS

Re: This house has been winterized…? - Posted by way

Posted by way on October 27, 2003 at 09:48:23:

sounds like quite a process. Thanks for all the feedback, i’ve just been noticing it (maybe because it’s finally starting to get cold her in colorado springs!) and it’s good to see what it means.

Re: This house has been winterized…? - Posted by Kathi

Posted by Kathi on October 27, 2003 at 09:16:41:

Tjhis has nothing to do with the status of the ownership or deed. Forclosures may or may not be winterized to protect the pipes and plumbing fixtures from damage. Privately owned homes that are vacant may also be winterized as may summer homes.

To winterize a home the pipes and hot water heater are drained. Antifreeze is placed in all traps or the traps removed. Antifreeze is added to the toilet tank and bowl. Toilet is flushed. More antifreeze is added to the toilet tank and bowl. If there is a boiler it is either drained or the system filled with antifreeze and allowed to run for awhile to distribute antifreeze throughout the system. Antifreeze is poured down all drains.

Re: This house has been winterized…? - Posted by jasonrei

Posted by jasonrei on October 27, 2003 at 08:47:24:

I believe it is something done by the company that secures foreclosed properties. Where I live these are also found on non-HUD homes. The lender owns it and turns the water off and puts some type of anti-freeze (I think) in the water heater, etc. It might be done on homes pending foreclosure, but I’ve only noticed it on foreclosures.

Re: This house has been winterized…? - Posted by E.Eka

Posted by E.Eka on October 27, 2003 at 07:48:34:

That’s usually seen at HUD foreclosure homes.

Re: Had this happen… - Posted by Tarheel T

Posted by Tarheel T on October 27, 2003 at 16:34:53:

Are you saying that you try to rent property like this that you do not have an interest in?

…in order to gain a few months rent before another owner comes into the picture?

TT

Re: This house has been winterized…? - Posted by way_motivated

Posted by way_motivated on October 27, 2003 at 07:51:09:

Makes sense, thanks.