This Old Store? - Posted by Rich

Posted by Millie I. on December 22, 1999 at 23:15:39:

Rich,

This sounds like an expensive hobby that may produce a lot of satisfaction for yourself, but not necessary an income producing venture. To each his own, and I wish you much success and happiness in this venture.

Why don’t you try the Public Library, an old book store, or the local historian. Don’t under-estimate the homes for senior citizens, there is a wealth of untapped memories and resources waiting to go into the graves. People from all walks of life go into those homes. You never know if there is a Victorian expert or history professor waiting to take their expertise into the next world, tap these treasures before they are lost forever. Old folks love to talk when they get a visitor. Start your research. Make sure you are doing this with joy in your heart and excitement in your venture. God bless!

Merry Christmas,
Millie I.

This Old Store? - Posted by Rich

Posted by Rich on December 22, 1999 at 19:58:51:

Does anyone know of a good reference book for old store fronts. My wife and I purchased an old store building - see it at my website:

It was remuddled in the 1950’s and I would like to return it to it’s original appearance. Unfortunately, I can’t find any photos of the building before then. Maybe I should call Steve Thomas & Norm Abrams to do a segment called ‘This Old Store’.
Thanks for any and all advice.
Happy holidays to all the Creonliners!

• Rich

Good luck with your project! - Posted by SusanL.–FL

Posted by SusanL.–FL on December 23, 1999 at 11:03:04:

Hope it’ll be fun and just thing! You’ll own a ‘piece of history’ when you are through!

My brother completely remodeled a (HUGE) Victorian house in Sunbury, PA. High ceilings/beautiful molding & woodwork, the works!

When he finished the project, the house appeared on the front cover of one of those monthly real estate magazines in his town. Someone else put a sketch of it Christmas cards that year.

He purchased it for $4,000 and sold it for $96,000.

Keep us posted on your progress. Happy Holidays! :slight_smile:

Re: design review - Posted by JD

Posted by JD on December 23, 1999 at 10:53:50:

Other than the slightly awkward looking flat awning/sidewalk roof the building looks fine to me.
I’d find out what I can or cant do first. Your city may have a design review group that enforces rules and grants waviers regarding store fronts (signs, set backs, awnings, etc…).

I’m With Millie, you might also check out - Posted by Dirk Roach

Posted by Dirk Roach on December 23, 1999 at 24:51:29:

your local Architectural Library many bigger schools have one, esp. if they have an architectural dept. However Millie is right, have some local seniors get out there old scrapbooks etc.
Microfiche images of old newspaper records can also be useful.
good luck,
Dirk