title search or title insurance? - Posted by crey

Posted by Stacy (AZ) on January 17, 2000 at 12:16:50:

I’m not a title expert…hopefully Rob (FL) will reply. However, having a title search done in lieu of buying a title insurance policy leaves you “naked” should title problems surface that were not found with the title search. Now, opinions vary on how much protection you will buy with insurance, since title companies don’t like to pay on policy claims. But the consensus on this board seems to be that title insurance is highly recommended, and should be factored in as just the cost of doing business.

There was a post last week about someone who decided not to buy the policy, and had an unexpected title issue pop-up. Hindsight is always 20-20.

Stacy

title search or title insurance? - Posted by crey

Posted by crey on January 17, 2000 at 11:27:28:

i’m in the process of purchasing a VA aquired duplex, my first. broker said it’s up to me whether to get a title search done or purchase title insurance, broker recommends to just do the search, the insurance will run me about $600, the search about $125. i have to keep an eye on my spending, need to know the advavntages and disadvantages to each. thanks

Title insurance claims - Posted by John Behle

Posted by John Behle on January 17, 2000 at 14:50:18:

A title search is just a “look” at the title. It carries no guarantees. Insurance covers MANY risks outside of what a title search might turn up. I do not advocate just a title report.

This is one of those areas that “If you have to ask - the answer is no”. As a note buyer, I do buy notes with only my own title search, but I’ve been at this 23 years. I myself worry about the risks when I do.

First American Title has a great website with information about title insurance. One of my favorite parts is their “Claims Chronicles” that details dozens of claims they’ve had to pay. I think they title it something like “How to spend 10 million dollars without even having fun”.

It’s at:
http://www.firstam.com/faf/html/news/chronicles/1000.html