To: The Professional Investors - Posted by Nick

Posted by Scott Britton on April 15, 1999 at 11:00:48:

Sandy,

I think you are right on target. You know what it takes to be successful… and you are doing old Nick a great service in taking the time to share your views.

There is a place for tough luv in Real Estate (typed with a smile and a chuckle)

Best of RealEstateSuccess!

Scott Britton

To: The Professional Investors - Posted by Nick

Posted by Nick on April 15, 1999 at 09:00:12:

Hello everyone;

I would like to know how many flips did you do last year?
How many rehabs did you do last year? How many lease option
deals did you do last year?

Thank you for your time.

Reply to Mr. Nick - Posted by Scott Britton

Posted by Scott Britton on April 15, 1999 at 11:02:57:

Nick,

I am a low volume guy… plus a privacy freak. So… I’m going to have a difficult time giving you an accurate answer to your question.

I can make a great living on just 2-4 transactions a month. I would say… most of my business this year has been in the wholesaling arena… and last year… the majority was in the rehabbing and retailing arena. But hey… the years still young.

We have already purchased a higher volume of property than normal this year. I have probably purchased 15 houses this year… but that number shouldn’t mean anything to you. It really doesn’t to me either. What I’m interested in is… how much money am I making. The number of houses and transactions is pretty much insignificant.

My goal however… is not to buy and sell 100 houses a year… or buy and keep the same number. My goal is to make $10,000 per month on as low a volume as possible. When I shoot for this… I find I have some extraordinary months… and the rest of my business booms as well.

But alas… in the final analysis… it all comes down to time. My information business is growing… and this is something I enjoy. Helping other people. But… it diffently impacts my “doing deals” side. I also like to spend time with my family… and travel. Last month my wife and I spent 10 days in Italy with some good friends. That’s 1/3 of the month. I had a couple of other side trips… including the Creative Real Estate Online Convention in Dallas… which I really enjoyed and was fantastic… but it ate into my “deal making” time.

Still… all in all… this is a great business. It has allowed me to create the lifestyle I enjoy. It can do the same for you with the right specialized knowledge. It’s not inexpensive… but it makes all the difference in the world!

Best of RealEstateSuccess!

Scott Britton

Re: To The Professional Investors - Posted by Sandy FL

Posted by Sandy FL on April 15, 1999 at 09:06:40:

Nick,
I would simply like to know how this information benefits you. It seems like you are still asking for people here to prove themselves, which has NO bearing whatsoever on what YOU do as an investor.

I have a question for you:
How many calls to FSBO’s did you make last week? How many calls to Realtors did you make last week? How many offers did you write? How many properties did you inspect? How many ads have you place, postcards or letters have you mailed, or business cards given out? Because those are the actions, whether professional or new investor, which are the actions which count.

Hope you are getting the message,

Sandy

Thanks… - Posted by JHyre in Ohio

Posted by JHyre in Ohio on April 15, 1999 at 11:57:46:

Scott,

I am also curious as to how the big dogs do with this buiness. Thanks for taking the time to answer.

John Hyre

Re: To The Professional Investors - Posted by Nick

Posted by Nick on April 15, 1999 at 09:47:16:

Hello Sandy;

The reason why I asked that question was because I
just wanted to know what a typical investor actually
did every year.

I do not understand, I asked a question, and now
you are attacking me.

Re: To The Professional Investors - Posted by JHyre in Ohio

Posted by JHyre in Ohio on April 15, 1999 at 09:16:50:

Hi Sandy,

I think you might be misinterpreting Nick’s tone. That’s understandable given that some of his past posts have been rather abrasive. I think he has since changed his attitude, even if his approach is still rather abrupt. I think he’s just curious as to how much volume a dedicated investor can generate.

Frankly, I’m rather curious too. I would use the info to set aggressive but realistic goals for myself over the medium to long term. If you are interested in sharing, great. If not- well that’s OK too. Some people prefer privacy when it comes to such things.

John Hyre

Re: Thanks… - Posted by Laure

Posted by Laure on April 15, 1999 at 18:44:54:

Hey, JOhn… what ever happened with the houses you were looking at in the neighboring city?? did the owner ever call you back to make a deal?

Laure

Re: To The Professional Investors - Posted by phil fernandez

Posted by phil fernandez on April 15, 1999 at 13:31:44:

Toughen up Nick.

You’ve asked all the questions now go out there and do something like Sandy does. She makes calls. She goes to open houses. She talks to other local investors. She makes offers.

The newsgroup is great, but there has to be a time when you have to go out in the market place to fall into deals.

Good luck.

Re: To The Professional Investors - Posted by Sandy FL

Posted by Sandy FL on April 15, 1999 at 09:32:13:

Perhaps I have misinterpreted, J, it wouldn’t be the first time … :wink: but the fact remains that Nick’s potential does not depend upon what others before him have done, it lies more in how much action ha takes, and how persistant he is in taking that action, in order to get results. Maybe that didn’t come across correctly? If so, no harm meant. I mean I gotta get off this darn newsgroup myself and make some calls ! LOL

Sandy

Re: Thanks… - Posted by JHyre in Ohio

Posted by JHyre in Ohio on April 16, 1999 at 06:17:13:

Hi Laure,

Sent an offer of $85k. Never heard anything. Drove by…1 unit in the double is occupied, all others are empty with for rent signs in the windows. No way I’ll pay $100k given the repairs needed. I included note in offer that if all were repaired to my satisfaction, I’d consider something closer to $100k. Silence. C’est la vie! Have some other leads, mainly FSBO’s for L/O’s. I’ll keep ya posted & thanks for the inquiry!

John Hyre

Re: To The Professional Investors - Posted by SCook85

Posted by SCook85 on April 15, 1999 at 21:33:20:

Phil,
I remember a time when you told me the same thing. I’m sure glad I listened. :slight_smile:

SCook85